Adas polo is one of those foods that is very nutritious, full of vitamins and proteins, and has many benefits. It is one of the foods that is recommended for teenagers and growing children to include in their weekly diet.
The combination of lentils and rice, along with minced meat, hot onion, raisins, and dates, is a perfect set full of energy for every person. From childhood to my son’s teenage years, I always made one meal a week of Persian lentil rice.
One day with meat, one day with chicken, and in different ways so that constant consumption is not annoying. This will improve vision and provide vitamins and iron needed by my children’s bodies.
Adas polo is one of the most nutritious types of polo. Adas polo with dates consists of Iranian rice, lentils, Currant, dates, and fried onions, and this food is cooked almost the same way in all cities of Iran.
In many cities of Iran, by adding deleting chicken and meat, barberry, Currant, and saffron, this food is cooked in different ways. Adas polo and loobia polo are two types of delicious and famous Iranian pilaf.
But there is one thing in common between all of them, which is potato tahdig. The potato tahdig is the most lovely part of adas polow that every person with any taste cannot miss.
Unfortunately, the exact history of the origin of this food is not available.
For: 4 people
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook for: 45 minutes
Ingredients for adas polo:
|1 ½ cup
|Minced meat (mutton and veal)
|Dates (without seeds)
|Currant (washed and drained)
How to make adas polo?
1. Soak lentils in some water for 2 hours (change the water 2-3 times during soaking).
2. Then pour it in a colander.Pour lentils in a pot with water and put it on a medium heat until simmer then decrease the heat to low,add the cinnamon stick and a little salt to cook for 50 minutes,then drain.
3. Soak rice in some water and salt for 2 to 4 hours.After that when cooking,drain the water on it and pour it into a pot containing boiled water and put it on high heat for 7 to 14 minutes.Leave until ready then drain.
4. chop the onion and fry it (put half of it away for saute the meat).Then pour a layer of rice,1 spoon of fried onion,lentils and cinnamon in a pot containing hot oil.
Pour the rest of the ingredients on top of the rice in the same way,and finally cover it with white rice.
Put the lid on the pot and increase the heat until the rice steam rises.Then decrease the heat to low and let it cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. melt the butter in low heat.When the steam of the rice rises, pour it on the rice,pour half of the saffron in a corner of the rice and cover the lid of the pot.
6. pour half of the fried onion that you put it aside in fry pan and add a little liquid oil.pour the meat in it,put it on low heat.then add some salt,turmeric powder,black pepper and curry spices and saute the meat completely. Add the rest of saffron and sugar.
7. When you want serving,saute the dates and currants in separate fry pans with liqiud oil,then pour them with the meat mixture and the rest of the hot onions on the adas polo and serve.
Related : keshmesh polo recipe.
20 Notes for adas polo:
- Adding cinnamon to this recipe gives it a double taste and aroma.
- Ada’s polo tahdig is an important part of this food for the lover of tahdig. You can use both potato and bread(lavash) for tahdig, but this food is popular with potato tahdig.
- Some people serve this food with chicken instead of minced meat, which is named adas polo ba morgh. It depends on your taste.
- Use enough saffron to make your Adas polo colorful and delicious.
- Using cumin powder in the meat removes its bad smell and makes the food tastier.
- Use pistachio slices and almond slices to decorate Ada’s polo.
- If you want to prepare adas polo without meat you must remove the steps of preparing the meat and do the rest of the steps according to the instructions.
- To prepare adas polo with chicken, you must first cook the chicken with chopped onion, some salt, pepper, and saffron, then remove the bones, ve the chicken, and add it to the rice along with the lentils and hot onions.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of lentils according to your taste.
- Instead of minced meat, you can use mushroom sl, iced cooked meat, or sliced cooked chicken.
- You can also make this food with minced meat in a meatball shape.
- While boiling lentils, add some cumin to them. In this way, your food will have a great taste.
- When you pour the lentils on top of the rice, add a little cinnamon powder to it with each layer.
- The amount of ingredients and the recipe are suitable for 4 people, and you can change the sizes according to the number of people and by observing the proportions.
- You can use mutton, ve, al, or even soy instead of meat.
- Adas polo calories are equal to 225 calories per 100 grams. Lentils have 16 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams.
- To cook a professional adas polo, in the first step, pour the lentils in water with a little salt and put them on a high flame. After 5 minutes, reduce the flame. With this, the lentils will not fall apart, and the appearance of your food will not be damaged.
- One of the ways to make this food tastier is to use some fried onions. You can pour fried onion alone on rice or cook it with minced meat, raisins, and dates. To make this food more colorful, use a little saffron.
- This food is made from rice and lentils, both of which have a cold taste, so it is recommended to eat it with raisins and dates or spices such as cardamom, black cumin, and saffron, which have a warm taste so that the taste of the food is balanced.
- This food is rich in protein due to the presence of lentils. It is recommended to eat adas polo at noon and lunch because it is considered a heavy meal, especially if it is eaten with fried onions and minced meat.
3. Improve heart health
Folate protects your heart and supports the formation of red blood cells. It’s especially important for your baby’s development if you’re pregnant. Lentils have plenty of folate, iron and vitamin B1, which also support your heart health.
Lentils may be associated with a lower risk of heart disease, by lowering bad cholesterol and blood pressure. One study found that eating lentils led to greater reductions in blood pressure than eating chickpeas, peas or beans.
Properties and benefits of adas polo:
Lentils are among the legumes that have many properties and are very useful for treating anemia and iron deficiency. Also, it does not have many calories and does not cause obesity. The properties of lentils are:
- Maintaining heart health
- Help to lose weight
- Improve the health of the digestive system
- Fight against high blood sugar
- Rich source of fiber and protein
- Cholesterol reducer
- Blood pressure reducer
- Strengthen the immune system
- Cancer prevention
- Prevention of anemia
- Heals the cells of the body
- Maintaining skin health
- Rich source of phosphorus, manganese, copper and potassium
- Increasing the activity of brain cells and strengthening memory
FAQ for Persian lentil rice:
1. How many calories adas polo have?
Adas polo calories are 40kcal in 1spoon
2. What is Adas in english?
Adas in english means Lentlis
3. Is Adas polo healthy?
Adas polo, because of having Lentlis, is full of vitamin and mineral
4. What is adas polo served with?
It depends on your taste to serve adas polo with what seasoning and taste. Pickled cucumber is one of the best options that you can serve with this food and it gives a good taste to this food. Pickles,zeytoon parvardeh, salad Shirazi, seasonal salad, mast o khiar, and sabzi khordan are other options that you can use.
Of course, it is not recommended to eat this pilaf with yogurt because it prevents the absorption of iron in lentils.
Did you like the Persian lentile rice recipe?
- If you try Adas polo, Please share your experience with us.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest this dish without meat.
- You can ask me questions about Adas Polo and Lentils in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you cook this food and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us on Facebook & mail.