Khoresh bamieh or “okra stew” is one of the most popular types of Iranian food . There are different types of stews. One of the types of Iranian stews is khoresh bamieh which belongs to Kermanshah, Ilam, Khuzestan, Kurdistan, and Fars, but it is cooked in all provinces and has its fans.
There are differences in how to prepare okra stew in different cities. You can not use meat or chicken to prepare khoresh bamieh or a completely vegetarian dish. Okra stew is served with rice or bread.
Okra stew is one of the best local Iranian stews with a special taste, and this stew has a special glaze due to okra that doubles the pleasure of eating this dish with rice and has many fans who never stop eating this dish.
How to make khoresh bamieh? (Khoresh bamieh recipe)
Preparing khoresh bamieh is very easy, but it needs to follow the principles of cooking, which should be cooked with gentle heat, and the amount of okra cooking is very important, which is mentioned in the recipe.
Okra is known as one of the most special foods around the world. In Iran, khoresh bamieh is one of the famous and very delicious foods in the country’s southern provinces and tropical regions of Iran.
If you want a thick stew with many glazes, it’s better to prepare the necessary ingredients right now and join us to teach you how to prepare a professional khoresh bamieh on the meals cook site.
For: 4 people
Preparation time::15 minutes
Cooking time:2 hours
|Half a teaspoon
1. Chopping onions and garlic
Start the preparation of khoresh bamieh by frying the onion. In this way, peel an onion and chop it finely, then finely chop the garlic and set it aside.
2. Saute the onion
Next, put a pot suitable for cooking stew on low heat and add oil until it heats well. Then pour the onion into the pot and fry well until it becomes light and glassy. Finally, add turmeric.
3. Adding garlic
Continue preparing the basic ingredients of the okra stew by frying the onion and turmeric, adding the garlic, and mixing the ingredients well until they are uniform. The smell of garlic spreads in the air.
4. Adding meat
Now it’s time to pour the chopped meat into the pot and fry it with other ingredients until it is cooked well and the color changes. Remember that over-roasting the meat makes it hard.
5. Sautéing the tomato paste
To color the stew, pour the specified amount of tomato paste into the pot, fry it, and then mix it with the meat until smooth. Peel the tomatoes, grate them, pour them into the pot, and stir well.
6. Adding water to cook the meat
To make khoresh bamieh delicious, fry the tomato paste until its rawness is removed. Now it’s time to pour 4 glasses of water into the pot first, put it on high heat until the water boils, and then lower the heat so that the stew cooks slowly.
7. Wiping the okra
While the meat is cooking, clean the okra well so you only take their heads and tails and then wash them. Remember not to damage the texture of the okra so that it does not fall apart during cooking.
8. Sautéing okra
After this step, put a suitable pan on low heat and add oil until it gets hot, and then fry the okra until their color changes so that their texture does not fall apart after cooking.
9. Adding okra to the stew
It is better to wait until the meat is well cooked, and then, after about 2 hours, pour the okra into the pot containing the stew ingredients.
Next, use lime or lemon juice to flavor the stew, then add the required amount of black pepper to the ingredients.
10. The time required for the stew to settle
For the khoresh banish to settle, it is better to let the okra cook with the meat for 40 minutes so that the excess water of the stew is taken. Also, this stew should be glazed; leaving it until it settles is better.
11. Food preparation
Your delicious khoresh bamieh is ready. Adding salt at the last stage of cooking the stew is better. Remember that overcooking makes the okra fall apart and harms the appearance of the stew.
Notes for khoresh bamieh:
- Fry the red meat until the texture is hard and not slow cooking.
- Adding salt at the last stage of cooking khoresh bamieh is better.
- Fry the okra well before adding it to the stew until it hardens.
- The cooking time of okra should be at most 1 hour because its texture will fall apart.
- Cook the okra stew on low heat until it thickens well.
- Add okra along with salt in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Because okra cooks very quickly, and otherwise, your okra stew will be crushed.
- Do not add salt to the stew from the beginning because it will make the meat cook longer. In addition, the tomato paste may be a little salty, and the stew will be salty.
- Do the same in preparing khoresh bamieh with chicken meat, and after roasting the chicken pieces, add tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Some people add cob to khoresh bamieh.In this case, as we said, cook the cobs separately and add them to the stew in the middle of cooking.
- To make Southern okra stew, use tamarind instead of tomato paste, and of course, to flavor the stew, they use a garlic bush for this amount of ingredients. First, fry the mutton or chicken with onions, a grated garlic bush, and tomatoes in the same order. Then cook the stew.
- In the last half hour of cooking, add the tamarind soaked in water and strained to the stew along with the okra. Let the stew settle and thicken.
- Using small okra to make okra stew fit better and become thicker is better.
- Adding some cinnamon to okra stew with meat gives this dish a unique taste. You can add a cinnamon stick to the food and remove it at the end of the cooking process.
- To prevent the okra from slipping in the stew, you can leave some okra tail. This prevents the okra from slipping. Frying okra before adding it to the stew is another way to prevent it from becoming sticky in the stew.
- After adding okra to the stew, turn off the flame after a few minutes. Overcooking okra will make it mushy and sticky.
- Preparing khoresh bamieh as much as you need for each serving is better. Avoid putting okra stew in the freezer or refrigerator because heating okra after a few times causes it to be crushed and the food to be slippery.
- .Many people add some garlic to make okra stew. If you like to prepare this dish with garlic, you should peel it, grate it, and fry it with meat and onions.
Benefits of okra:
It is good to know that okra regulates blood pressure and lowers cholesterol. In addition, okra is rich in fiber. For this reason, it is an extremely filling and slimming food. Okra lowers blood sugar, which is very useful for people with diabetes.
(Of course, be careful of its interaction with blood-sugar-lowering drugs). Okra is very useful and therapeutic for people who suffer from constipation. Okra is rich in folic acid, vitamin A, and vitamin C, so it is an anti-depressant and anti-stress food.
Okra—also known as lady’s-fingers, gumbo, or bhindi—is the most important vegetable crop of the tropical and subtropical regions of the world. It belongs to the genus Abelmoschus and family Malvaceae.
1.What is the English of Bamiyeh?
The meaning of okra in English is okra. Okra—also known as lady’s-fingers, gumbo, or bhindi—is the most important vegetable crop in the tropical and subtropical regions of the world.
2.How many calories are in Bamieh?
Did you like this khoresht bamieh?
- Please share your experience about cooking this persian khoresh bamieh.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest vegetarian khoresh bamieh.
- You can ask me questions about khoresh bamieh recept and cabbage in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you cook this food and love the taste of it,please share your pic with us on Facebook & mail.