Shurbo soup and my first trip in Tajikistan. On my first trip to Tajikistan, unfortunately, I caught a cold and the first food they brought me was soup soup. In Tajikistan, it is customary to make soup for people who have a cold.
This soup, which is prepared with potatoes and excellent vegetables with meat, is an excellent remedy for colds. It is also eaten as an iftar meal during Ramadan.
Using a lot of garlic and onion in this soup helps the immune system to get rid of colds sooner and keep the body healthy. In Iran, there are also very nutritious soups and stews.
For example, vegetable soup and ash sholeh ghalamkar are examples of these hearty soups. Sometimes peeled barley is used in soup for a better glaze.
|Spices (Salt, bay leaves, paprika, ground coriander, ground pepper)
1. At first pick up a big pot and fill it up with water. Add the pieces of meat that cut them before to the pot. Close the lid and cook it till it boils (You can cook it with chopped onions and a few spices for better aroma).
2. While meat cooks, start washing and then cutting these ingredients. First, peel and wash onions and then cut them. Then, wash the tomatoes and grate them. After that, cut the bell peppers into small pieces.
3. Now cut the celery in half. Then, cut the turnips into 2 or 3 pieces.
4. After your meat boils, clean up the bubbles on the surface of the pot. Make sure after it boils on high heat tu, bring it down to medium heat.
5. Now add sliced onions to the pot and leave it on medium heat to boil. After a few minutes, add sliced bell peppers.
6. Then add chickpeas. After that, add the tomato puree that you made earlier (i.e. grated tomato). Now stir the mixture and let it boil for a few minutes.
7. Now it’s time to add spices. Add salt, bay leaves, paprika, grand coriander, and ground pepper.
8. Then add whole carrots and sliced turnips. Add garlic cloves and whole jalapeno. Stir all the ingredients and let it cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes on low heat.
9. The soup is now ready. Enjoy it with the flakey bread, and add some parsley, dill, or cilantro on top of the soup for extra goodness.
10. Serve shurbo soup and enjoy eating it with your family. along with this food is served shakarob salad.
Related: Best Tajikistan Dishes.
- You can also use vegetables such as fenugreek, but I did not do this so that the original and traditional combination of this soup would not be mixed.
- You can use sour lemon and Sangak or Barbari bread along with any kind of it and soup.
- If you feel that shurbo has too much water and the concentration is not right, boil it a little more until it settles and the excess water evaporates.
- If we remove the meat from this dish, it is an excellent soup for vegans.
- Sometimes, two different dishes are used to serve soup, one for meat and potatoes and the other for water and vegetables.
- I usually make a lot of this and freeze it in smaller packages and reheat and use them when the time is right.
- Sometimes, for more concentration, peeled barley is also used in this dish
Related : abgoosht recipe.
Shurbo is a traditional Tajik soup that is very hearty and excellent. This soup is used for colds and when breaking the fast in Ramadan. This excellent soup should be made with the right temperature and in a perfect concentration so that it is not watery and all the ingredients are cooked together.
1. What is the main ingredient in shurba?
The main ingredient in shurba is potato.
2. Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, You can freeze shurbo soup in smaller pieces and keep it in the freezer for a month.
3. Is this soup suitable for vegans?
Yes, when we remove the meat from this soup, it is great for vegans.
4. Can I use chicken instead of lamb?
Yes, but you should note that it does not have the taste of the original and traditional broth anymore.