Zereshk polo ba morgh is Another one of the most thoroughbred Iranian foods. Polo morgh or makiyan polo are other names for this traditional food.
Zereshk polo ba morgh is prepared from a combination of fried chicken with barberry and saffron and persian rice. Since ancient times in Iran, this food has been used in weddings and mourning ceremonies.
This dish, along with tahchin morgh, is one of the most elegant and beautiful traditional foods of Iranians.
Salad Shirazi and yogurt are served with zereshk polo. Pistachio and almond slices are used to decorate the food.
For: 4 people
Preparation: 20 minute
Cooking time : 90 minute
Ingredients of Zereshk Polo Ba Morgh:
|Barberry (washed and drained)
|Liquid oil (for frying)
|Saffron (brew saffron)
|Chicken (4 pieces chopped and boiled)
What Is Zereshk Polo Ba Morgh Made Of?
1. To prepare zereshk polo ba morgh, we first put the chicken meat with two cups of water, some turmeric and cinnamon powder, and onion into a stock pot, then we put the pot on medium heat until the chicken is boiled (for 1 to 1hour and 30 minutes).
2. In order to make the chicken taste better, it is better to let all the water in the pot drain; this will make the flavor of all the spices absorb into the chicken meat. When the chicken meat boiled, put it away.
3. Soak almond slices in some water for an hour, then drain in a colander.
4. Now, depending on its type, we soak the rice for 1 hour to 3 hours along with 1tsp of salt and lukewarm water. Then, we put a suitable pot on the heat, fill it halfway with water, and let the water boil.
5. After the water boils, add ½ tsp salt to the pot, then add the soaked rice to the boiling water and let it simmer for 7 to 14 minutes.
6. When the rice grains become a little soft, but their kernels of rice are hard and stuck under the teeth, we should rinse the rice. After draining the rice, we put it away.
7. Siute half of the barberry with half of the sugar in a pan containing hot oil or melted butter.
8. Pour a layer of rice into a pot containing some hot oil, then pour some barberry on it. In the same way, put the barberry on top of the rice and cover it with rice.
Make a few holes in it with the handle of the draining spoon (this will make the rice steam rise easily and brew better). Put the lid on the pot and increase the heat until the rice steam rises.
9. Heat the butter with 3 tbs of liquid oil on low heat. When the rice steam rises, pour it on the rice.
10. Pour the almond slices into one corner of the rice and pour the saffron into another corner of the rice. Put the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to let the rice brew for 30 minutes.
11. Saute the rest of the barberry with the rest of the sugar in a pan containing some hot oil or butter. Saute the pistachio slices in another pan.
12. In a pan containing hot oil, fry the chicken (boiled before) in oil until golden brown. When the rice is cooked, mix the saffron rice with sliced almonds and pour it along with the rest of the sauteed barberry, pistachio slices, and chicken on the rice and serve. Zereshk polo ba morgh is ready.
History Of Zereshk Polo
The history of zereshk polo ba morgh dates back to the Safavid era. We can see traces of this food in the cooking books of the Safavid era. Indeed, this food is not very old food, but it has a very special place in Iranian dining tables.
What Is Zereshk In English?
Barberry is an evergreen tree with broad leaves that has oval red fruits. Barberry has been known for medicinal purposes for more than 200 years. It is a detoxifying herb that contains excellent medicinal and soothing properties and helps fight several ailments.
Properties of barberry:
- They are a rich source of vitamin C. Barberry also contains B vitamins, such as thiamine, and minerals, such as zinc.
- There are elements in barberry that have great medicinal value. This chemical is used as an antibiotic to kill bacteria, fungi, and protozoa.
- The fruit, stem, and skin of the barberry root contain chemicals such as alkaloids and quinoline, which are effective enough in the treatment of various diseases.
RELATED: Common Foods Between Iran and Turkey.
What is zereshk polo ba morgh made of?
Cooking zereshk polo ba morgh is an art because it is not easy for everyone to make a delicious zereshk polo with well-cooked chicken the aroma of which amazed everyone. This delicious and healthy food offers you a combination of diverse and colorful flavors.
Following simple steps and natural ingredients will bring you an enjoyable and wonderful experience with this food. This food is a combination of chicken, Burberry, rice, spices, and tomato paste.
NOTES for cooking delicious zereshk polo:
- Using sliced almonds and pistachios in this recipe makes it taste more delicious.
- Be sure to soak the sliced almonds, but there is no need to saute them; just pour them into the rice pot so that they are steamed together with the rice.
- Do not soak the pistachio slices because it will change its color, but saute it for sure.
- When buying barberry, make sure that the color of the barberry is completely crimson and fresh.
Did you make this recipe?
- Please let me know how it was by leaving a comment!
- You can ask me questions about zereshk polo ba morgh in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- I would love to see your Zereshk Polo! Please tag me with @mealscook on Facebook or Instagram and make me happy!
- For more recipes, you can visit Meals Cook.
1. How many calories does zereshk polo have?
Zereshk polo ba morgh calories is 40 cal in 1spoon.
2. What is a morgh?
Chicken or morgh is a type of meat that is used in many recipes of different and delicious foods.
3. How to serve zereshk polo ba morgh?
4. What are barberries (zereshk), and where can I find them?
Barberries, also known as zereshk in Persian, are small, red berries that are commonly used in Persian cuisine to add a burst of tartness to dishes like Zereshk Polo ba Morgh.
They can be found in Middle Eastern or Persian grocery stores, as well as online or in some specialty food markets.
5. How do I cook the saffron rice for Zereshk Polo ba Morgh?
To cook the saffron rice for this food, you’ll need to rinse the persian rice several times in cold water to remove excess starch. Then, you can soak the rice in water with some salt for about 30 minutes.
Next, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the soaked rice, and cook it until it’s partially cooked (about 6 minutes).
Drain the rice, rinse it with cold water, and then layer it with melted butter and saffron-infused water in a pot. Allow it to steam on low heat for about 30 minutes to cook and develop its fragrant flavor fully.