Persian salald olivieh(Olovieh Salad) is very popular among people, especially Iranians, due to the ease of its preparation and its ability to be used for parties as a small dish (finger food). This cold food is known all over the world. Read how to prepare this salad in this section of our site.
this salad along with kashke bademjan and mirzaghasemi are finger foods that are served at most parties. To prepare olivieh, you must prepare the following ingredients and then start preparing step by step: this Persian salad is served with barbari bread.
History of salad olivieh:
Salad olivieh is the main food of New Year’s Eve in Russia, which is more important than Christmas for the people of this country. Russian salads, the flagship of which is this salad, are not those salads full of vegetables that we see in most places.
Usually made with mayonnaise, root vegetables, and a variety of protein ingredients, Russian salads are a branch of salad in themselves and provide the calories needed to survive the cold Russian winters.
Even though it later became a popular salad of the Soviet people, it was originally a food for the elite class. This salad was invented by Lucien Olivier, the chef of the Hermitage restaurant in Moscow in the early 1860s. The Hermitage restaurant, imitating the great cafes of Paris, served the upper classes of society and Russian intellectuals.
Lucien olivier modeled the French cooking style before the French Revolution: a beautiful arrangement of black cock bird, pickled cucumber, spiny lobster tail, caper plant, peas, potatoes, and caviar, and finally a special sauce made from eggs. They poured it on it.
Despite this artistic performance, customers of the Hermitage restaurant mixed all the ingredients together as soon as they received their food plates. For this reason,olivier decided to serve it in the form of a salad of cut ingredients,a method that also ensured the durability of the food.
He took the recipe for this dish to his grave in 1883. During the following decades, cooks began to publish their speculations about the recipe of salad olivieh.
Where is salad olivieh from?
This salad disappeared for a short time after the Russian Revolution before it reappeared in the 1930s when Olivier’s former student put it on the menu of his restaurant called Moscow. He named this dish Stolichni, which had potatoes and peas in the original recipe, but sausage, carrots, and pickles had replaced the expensive ingredients.
The secret sauce of the original recipe was replaced with Soviet mayonnaise. Considered a triumph of mass production, the food evoked high-fat,protein-packed foods that tasted tangy and delicious a hearty food created to alleviate the effects of food shortages rampant under Soviet communist rule was happening. Another advantage of this dish was that it hid the low quality of its ingredients.
In 1939, in a book called “Delicious and Healthy Food”, the Soviet government introduced a modernized version of salad olivieh and other dishes whose basis was mayonnaise. This book was a huge success, perhaps because it was the only cookbook that people could afford. The book dealt with the Russian love affair with mayonnaise, an obsession that is still going strong.
Unfortunately, the demand exceeded the supply and in most of the 1950s and 1960s Soviet mayonnaise was only found in restaurants or delis in big cities. There’s nothing quite as appetizing as rarefaction, which is why when mayonnaise became more readily available in the 1970s Russian families turned to making their own salad dressing.
The original version of the salad was invented in the 1860s by a cook of Belgian origin, Lucien Olivier, the chef of the Hermitage, one of Moscow’s most celebrated restaurants. Olivier’s salad quickly became immensely popular with Hermitage regulars, and became the restaurant’s signature dish.
At the turn of the 20th century, one of Olivier’s sous-chefs, Ivan Ivanov, attempted to steal the recipe. While preparing the dressing one evening in solitude, as was his custom, Olivier was suddenly called away. Taking advantage of the opportunity, Ivanov sneaked into Olivier’s private kitchen and observed his mise en place, which allowed him to make reasonable assumptions about the recipe of Olivier’s famed dressing.
Ivanov then left Olivier’s employ and went to work as a chef for Moskva, a somewhat inferior restaurant, where he began to serve a suspiciously similar salad under the name “metropolitan salad” (Russian: Столичный, tr. Stolichny). It was reported by the gourmands of the time, however, that the dressing on the “Stolichny” salad was of a lower quality than Olivier’s, meaning that it was “missing something.”
For: 4 people
Preparation time:30 minute
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Salad Olivieh ingredients:
|Whole chicken breast
|Big pickled cucumber
|Salt and black pepper
1. To prepare salad olivieh, we first wash the potatoes and eggs, then put them in a small pot with a few glasses of water and put them on high heat so that they are boiled faster.
2. Next, we clean the chicken breast and remove its extra skins, then put it in another pot along with 2 glasses of water, clean and wash onions, some salt, black pepper, and turmeric powder. We also put the pot containing the chicken meat on the heat to cook the chicken meat.
3. After the eggs and potatoes are boiled, we let them cool down, then we peel their skins. We choose a large and spacious bowl and grate potatoes and eggs in it.
4. After the chicken meat is cooked, we cut it into small pieces and add it to the bowl containing potatoes and eggs. Grate the pickled cucumber with a fine grater, then squeeze the extra water by hand and add it to the other ingredients. You can also chop it very finely.
5. At this stage, we have to prepare the peas, if we use canned peas, we just have to drain them and add them to the other ingredients. If we have fresh and raw peas, we should cook them with some water and salt, then add them to other ingredients.
6. Now we have to make the salad dressing. For this purpose, we mix mayonnaise with lemon juice, black pepper, and a little salt in a small bowl until they are uniform, then add to the salad and mix well until the sauce reaches all parts of the salad.
7. After the salad is ready, pour it into the dish we want, then cover it with a cellophane and put it in the refrigerator for at least two hours to set the salad. If you want your salad to be tastier, it is better to make it the day before and put it in the refrigerator.
5 Golden Notes for Olivieh:
- Salad Olivieh in a mold:
If you want to make your salad in a mold, first moisten the inside of the mold you want with a little water, then put a freezer bag inside. Next, pour the salad into the mold and press well with the back of a spoon to fill all the points of the mold.
At the end, put the salad in the refrigerator for at least two hours until it is shaped. After this time, put the salad back on a suitable plate and slowly remove the freezer bag.
- Salad Olivier with sausage:
If you want to make salad olivieh without chicken, remove the chicken meat from the necessary ingredients and add 250 grams of sausage or ham instead. Sausage does not need to be cooked, you just have to chop it into small pieces and add it to other salad ingredients.
- Salad olivieh without chicken:
Chicken gives a very good taste to the salad, if you want to remove the chicken from this salad, you can replace it with ham and sausage. Of course, if you are a vegetarian, instead of using chicken you can use other vegetables such as mushrooms, bell peppers, etc. roasted in your salad.
- Salting the salad:
The thing to keep in mind when preparing this salad is not to use too much salt when making the sauce. Because we have cooked the salad ingredients with salt and we also use pickled cucumbers in preparing this salad, we must be careful not to make the salad taste salty.
- Basic salad finger food:
This salad finger food is considered one of the most famous Iranian finger foods, which is made with many different recipes and forms. This delicious finger food is very suitable for serving at gatherings and parties.We will teach you this recipe very soon.
- Salad Olivieh design:
This is a delicious appetizer that is considered a great treat for birthdays and evening parties. By decorating this salad beautifully, you will give your guests multiple pleasures.
This salad is generally decorated with the ingredients used in it, as well as with fresh tomatoes, olives, and vegetables. Especially with eggs and carrots, many shapes can be made. Vegetables like cucumber, tomato, parsley, and dill have a lot of room for creativity.
FAQ for salad olivieh:
1. what eat with salad olivieh?
You can eat it with pickles cucumber,tomato and bread
2. How many calories are in salad olive?
In each 3.2 ounce, it has 162kcl
3. Can you freeze salad olivieh?
No dos not freeze well
4. What is Persian Salad Olivieh?
Persian Salad Olivieh is a popular Iranian dish made with cooked chicken, potatoes, carrots, peas, and pickles, mixed with a dressing made from mayonnaise, lemon juice, and spices. It’s usually served sandwich filling.
5. Is there a vegetarian version of Persian Salad Olivieh?
Yes, there is a vegetarian version of this dish which replaces chicken with boiled eggs or chickpeas.
6. Can I add other ingredients to Persian Salad Olivieh?
Yes, you can add other ingredients such as diced apples, raisins, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds to give the salad a better flavor and texture.
7. Can I serve Persian Salad Olivieh warm?
No, this salad must be served cold.
Did you like this recipe?
- If you have experience eating any Persian salad, please say your comment.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest this salad without chicken.
- You can ask me questions about Persian salad olivieh in the comments.