The first food that my father and I ate in the south of Iran was ghalieh meygoo. I was almost 22 years old when we ate this delicious, nutritious food on a trip to Bushehr with my father. Even after 11 years, I have not forgotten the taste and aroma of this great food.
It was exactly the first time that the taste of tamarind came under my tongue. It contained a magical and excellent sour taste. The combination of special vegetables, tamarind, and shrimp provided me an unforgettable taste.
After shrimp, which is the main part of this dish, ghalieh meygoo vegetables are the most important part. The most important vegetables in this dish are Fenugreek and Coriander. The amount of coriander is usually much more than fenugreek, usually 4 or 5 times.
It took many years until I finally succeeded in making this dish myself, and if you stay with mealscook until the end of this article, I will teach you the tips and tricks of this delicious southern dish.
My experience table:
|My level of interest is from 1 to 10
|The ease of cooking
|What is served with?
|Sir torshi, torshi bandari, torshi anbeh
|Salt, pepper, and turmeric
1. At first, we cut the onions into small pieces and fry them with oil. We continue frying until the onions become golden.
2. Then add the chopped garlic to the onion and fry. After that, we add the spices, including turmeric and red pepper, to the onion and garlic mixture.
3. Then, we add the vegetables to the pot and fry them with onions and garlic. Note that I use prepared and frozen vegetables. At this stage, I fry the vegetables then add the tomato paste. (Adding tomato paste is optional, but I always add it for better taste and color).
4. At this stage, we add the shrimp to the vegetable mixture and start frying. The more shrimp, the better the flavor of this food. We continue frying until the shrimp become round shape.
5. In a separate container, pour the tamarind and add some white flour and a little water to it. Then, we mix these ingredients with a spoon until they are completely mixed.
Then, pass this mixture through a strainer and add the resulting liquid to the shrimp and vegetable mixture. After the stew comes to a boil, reduce the heat and cover the pot. Let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. After these steps, we open the pot, and our ghalieh meygoo is ready. You can enjoy this great dish with rice that you have already cooked.
How to serve this food?
Notes for ghalieh meygoo
- You have to be careful not to fry the shrimp too much because it makes them hard and dry.
- This dish is excellent for those who like spicy and sour food due to the presence of red pepper and tamarind.
- To cook this dish, don’t fry the vegetables too much so that they don’t lose their properties in addition to their taste.
- The recipe for cooking ghalie meygoo is almost similar to ghalieh mahi, and in my opinion, it is even more delicious.
- Shrimp has excellent properties for the human body, including phosphorus, and this food is also suitable for children and teenagers.
Benefits of Eating Shrimp
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend consuming eight ounces of low-mercury seafood per week.3 Mercury is a toxin found in seafood that, in high levels, can destroy the nervous system, leading to symptoms like muscle weakness or loss of peripheral (side) vision. Especially because it’s low in mercury, shrimp is recommended as a seafood that can bring health benefits.
1. What is the main ingredient in ghalieh meygoo?
The main ingredients in this food are shrimp, special vegetables, tamarind, and onion.
2. How many calories are in this food?
In every 100 grams of this food, there are 101 kcal and 10 grams of protein.
3. What is served with ghalieh meygoo?
Along with this food, pickles and sir torshi is served .
4. Is this food healthy?
Yes, due to the presence of shrimp, this food has very high protein, which is also recommended for children and athletes.
5. Can I use frozen shrimp and vegetables to prepare this dish?
Yes, I also use frozen vegetables in preparing this dish, but if the shrimp is fresh, the taste of the dish will be excellent.