Walnut cookie(shirini gerdooee) is one of the most popular and delicious Persian sweet, which is known as walnut sweets because most of it consists of walnuts. Walnut sweets are usually served with tea because they are a little dry.
A walnut cookie is one of the types of delicious Iranian sweets that are used in special ceremonies. This delicious sweet is one of the most expensive sweets because its main ingredient is walnut.
“Bazari walnut cookie“, which is usually served alongside “coconut sweet,” has a special place in the menu of traditional confectioneries with its excellent taste and crackled appearance and is one of the nostalgic Iranian sweets.
If you are interested in walnuts and sweets that taste like walnuts, stay with me until the end of this article.
You can also read shirini morabaii recipe.
Ingredients for shirini gerdooee:
|1 ¼ cup
Instruction(best walnut cookies recipes):
1. Prepare the necessary ingredients and put them on the work table. In preparing traditional sweets, it is better to use a kitchen scale instead of measuring cups.
2. First, grind the walnuts a little and then pour them into a clean bowl. It is better to keep the walnuts cold because they do not fall into the oil in the meat grinder.
3. Add cake crumbs and sugar. You can add 1/4 of chopped walnuts (half a cup) and two tablespoons of rice flour instead of cake crumbs.
4. Pour the egg white on the ingredients. If you are looking for dark walnut sweets (bazari color), add a teaspoon of cocoa powder.
5. Now mix the ingredients well with a wooden spoon and then pass them through the meat grinder for two rounds.
6. After one round of grinding, open the meat grinder and add the amount of walnuts collected behind the blade to the ingredients, and then grind the pastry for the second time.
7. After grinding, the dough is relatively loose and smooth. Pour the pastry cream into a small pot, put it on low heat, and stir it with a wooden spoon.
8. First, the sugar will melt, and the ingredients will become looser, but then it will become cohesive. It does not mean hardening but elasticity, which means that when you put a spoon in the pastry and take it out, the material is cohesive and does not fall off the spoon easily.
9. Heat the walnut cookie dough until it starts to steam, and when you scoop it out with a spoon, it becomes elastic.
Depending on the type of pot, the amount of heat, and the volume of ingredients, this process takes between six minutes and a quarter of an hour. Make sure that the ingredients do not boil in any way.
You can also read the walnut jam recipe.
10. Pour the hot mixture into a clean bowl and add the vinegar, baking soda, and vanilla while it is still hot and mix well until smooth. Place the bowl on the work table until the ingredients reach room temperature.
Heating makes the material very hot from the inside, and it takes at least half an hour to an hour to reach the ambient temperature.
11. After the pastry cools down, turn on the oven at 180°C equivalent to 350°F or 4 degrees. It is very important for the oven to be hot to puff the pastry, and the baking tray must be placed in a hot oven.
12. Prepare the baking tray. If you line the tray with parchment paper, grease the paper, or you can use a silicone mat that does not need to be greased.
13. Prepare the nazzle and pastry bag to pour the dough on the tray. If you want to make a walnut cookie the size of a pastry, use a simple round nazzle with a diameter of one centimetre (1A).
If you want the cookies to be finer, use a smaller round nazzle, or you can cut the top of the pastry bag and pour the ingredients without the nazzle.
14. Pour the dough into the pastry bag, making sure that the ingredients must be completely cooled at this stage.
Hold the pastry bag completely vertically on the tray and press. To make the cookies equal, count from one to five while piping. The cookies puff up in the oven so there should be at least three centimeters between them.
15. You can put the cookies in the oven in the same way, but if you want it to look more like a confectionery walnut cookie, wet your finger and smooth the shape that is created on top of the cookies due to the nazzle. Tap the tray on the work table and then put it in the oven.
16. Place the tray in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. The sweets are slightly puffy at first, but the puffs fall asleep and puff up again at the end. After cooking, place the baking tray on the cooling rack.
17. Remove the cookies from the tray after cooling. It should be dry and cracked on the sweets.
18. The back of the sweets should be a little darker, and the texture should not be pasty and uniform.
19. You may not be able to bake this sweet at the first time. But I promise you, it is worth the practice and when you get the result, the crunchy texture of the sweet top and the softness and elasticity of them with the good taste of walnut will take away your fatigue.
20. Store shirini gerdooee in a closed container at room temperature. This sweet has a long shelf life due to the absence of fat and dairy products.
Related: shirini latifeh.
Tips before baking walnut cookies:
- You can use cinnamon instead of vanilla in the preparation of a bazari walnut cookie.
- Cocoa powder is only used to darken the cake and can be omitted.
- In this recipe, white sugar is used, which cannot be replaced with brown sugar, powdered sugar, and juice. Substituting white sugar makes the sweets sticky and lumpy in the grinding and heating stage and spoils the result.
- For this recipe, you need egg whites at room temperature.
- The meaning of vinegar is factory white vinegar.
Notes for shirini gerdooee:
- In the first step of preparing this sweet, a meat grinder is used, and due to the lack of this device in all homes, replacing the meat grinder with a food processor is one of the most common questions for cooking walnut cookies on the market. What you should know is that it is possible to substitute, but since these two devices have completely different functions (the meat grinder only makes the ingredients consistent and homogeneous, but the ingredients in the food processor are completely crushed and go together) by using a food processor, the texture is slightly sweet It will be different, and the result will not be completely similar to the pastry. If it is not possible for you to prepare a meat grinder, just put the ingredients in the food processor for two minutes and make sure that the ingredients come to the consistency of a cream and not a paste at the end.
- In the preparation of this sweet in a bazari way,some cake crumbs are used to strengthen the sweet and create a special texture. Since this cake does not contain any oil or fat, it is better to use low-fat cakes such as sponge cake, rollet, or chiffon cake but use heavier cakes such as vanilla cupcakes, cake yazdi, or packaged cakes. A supermarket is not a problem either. Never use biscuit crumbs instead of cake crumbs.
- Vinegar is used in many baking recipes. Using a small amount of vinegar makes the texture of the sweet spongy and soft; its acidity prolongs the life of the sweet and makes the taste of the sweet balanced. In most baking recipes, vinegar is referred to as “white vinegar,” and unfortunately, dark vinegar (date, red grape, and balsamic vinegar) cannot be replaced.
- This recipe does not contain any dairy ingredients and can be used for people who have a lactose-free diet. If you find it difficult to digest the gluten in wheat flour, replace fifty grams of cake crumbs with fifty grams of walnuts and two tablespoons of rice flour to make the recipe gluten-free. Know that the texture of the cake will be a little softer with this.
- Measure all the ingredients accurately with a digital scale so as not to get into trouble for baking.
- You can also use cocoa cakes instead of sponge cakes.
- The darkening of the dough may be due to cocoa powder, cinnamon, and walnuts. Of course, there is no problem because its colour will lighten when it goes into the oven.
- You must use white vinegar because red vinegar will overpower the sweet taste of the cookie.
- The use of vinegar makes the walnut cookie puff well.
- If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can pour the ingredients into a freezer bag and cut the tip with scissors.
- The firmness of the dough should be enough to come out of the nazzle with hand pressure.
- If this is the first time you are making walnut cookies, first put 2-3 cookies in the oven, when you see that the cookies did not puff up and did not crack, you can add another egg white.
- If the ingredients are too loose when pouring into the tray, add a little cake crumbs or rice flour, and if it is hard and does not come out of the nazzle, add a little egg white.
- Don’t take the walnut cookie out of the oven very soon because it will puff up and give it a shock.
Related : koloocheh recipe.
Bake walnut cookie without oven:
1. We put three metal bases inside a spacious pot and cover the pot completely with the lid because the heat does not escape. Then, we put a flame spreader under the pot and let it cook for 15 minutes on very low heat. Let it warm up completely.
2. Then, we funnel the sweets into a small tray or cake mould covered with grease-proof paper and put them in the pot. It takes about 20 minutes to bake the pastry. In order for the cookies to become golden, we have to turn the cookies along with grease-proof paper on the metal base and let them stay in the pot for another 5 to 10 minutes.
A new study looks at health benefits of walnuts
A new study suggests that walnuts may be a particularly good choice. And this isn’t the first time researchers have come to this conclusion. A previous analysis by the same researchers (including 365 study participants in 13 trials) found that diets enriched with walnuts led to lower total and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol when compared with other diets. Since then, more studies with far more study participants and longer follow-up have been published.
FAQ shirini gerdooee
1. What is a walnut cookie?
A shirini gerdooee is a type of pastry that is made with, Chopped walnuts, Egg white, and white sugar.
2. How many carbs are in a walnut cookie?
There are 30g Carbohydrates.
3. What is the origin of walnut cookies?
The history of walnut cookies on board trains can be traced back to the aftermath of the Korean War, during which trains were the most readily available method of transportation.
Did you like this recipe?
- Please share your experience about making this Persian walnut cookie.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest this Persian sweet.
- You can ask me questions about the Persian walnut cookie recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you make this sweet and love the taste of it, please share your pic and video with us on Facebook and YouTube.