Shir berenj is the only dessert that we were allowed to use in childhood. It is a popular dessert and food supplement for Iranian children. Of course, it is a dessert that is full of nutrients and vitamins.
Due to the presence of milk and rice, it provides all the daily vitamins and calories for children.
It is very easy for children to eat this excellent food supplement because cooked rice is mixed with milk and is easily digestible.
In addition, when it is combined with sugar grape juice or dates, it becomes much tastier for children.
Shir berenj or rice pudding is a nutritious dessert all over the world. It is prepared from a combination of milk, rice, sugar, and cinnamon.
In Iran, this dessert has many fans because it is a nutritious dessert full of vitamins and calories.
Persian rice pudding is similar to another Iranian dessert, namely “Shole Zard”, with a few changes.
History of shir berenj
Shirba is also shir berenj that is used in Ferdowsi’s Shahnameh. In Mazandaran, there is a ceremony called wishing for rain, in one of its rituals, all the villagers collect milk and rice and use it to make rice pudding, eat it, and pour some of it on the roof, believing that it will rain.
Rice pudding (or rice milk) can be found in almost every region of the world and has a different recipe.
Rice pudding is used in different countries such as the Middle East and Asia, North Africa, Europe, North Europe and England, Canada and the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, etc.
for different meals and in different types. Different ingredients of rice milk in different countries of the world:
Rice: white rice (usually short grain, but can also be long grain, broken rice, basmati, or jasmine rice), brown rice, black rice.
Milk: (whole milk, coconut milk, cream, or evaporated milk) Spices: (cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, etc.)
Flavorings and drinks: (vanilla, orange, lemon, rose water, pistachio, almond, brown, raisin, walnut, etc.)
Sweetener: (sugar, brown sugar, honey, concentrated sugar syrup, dates, fruit, etc.) In some countries, eggs are sometimes used in cooking rice milk.
we dedicated this article from meals cook to its properties and side effects. Stay with us until the end of this article.
For: 4 people
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook for: 45 minutes
Ingredients for shir berenj:
|Walnut or pistachio for design
1. First, we pour the rice into a boil containing water to soak it for 1 to 2 hours; we rinse the rice and put it in a suitable pot along with 3 glasses of water and salt.
We put the pot on high heat until the water boils.
2. After the water in the pot evaporates and only half a glass of water remains, we add milk to the pot and wait until the rice is completely cooked and boiling soft.
Now dissolve the sugar in half a glass of boiling water and add it to the pot.
3. After adding sugar, we must stir the rice pudding continuously for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves completely; now, we have to wait until the rice pudding reaches a sufficient concentration.
In the last 10 minutes of cooking, we add rose water to the pot along with cardamom powder.
4. Rice pudding is a food that gets burnt very quickly, so you have to pay attention to the food during all cooking stages so that it doesn’t get burnt.
After 10 minutes, we take off the pot from the heat and add the cream to the rice milk (adding cream is optional) It is better to put the cream at room temperature beforehand.
5. After adding the cream, put the lid on the pot and wait for 10 minutes until the rice pudding is completely absorbed.
After this time, we pour the rice pudding into the desired dishes and decorate it with pistachio almond slices or walnuts.
You can also read Fereni recipe.
14 Tips for making delicious shir berenj:
- One of the requirements for making rice pudding is to use high-quality Persian rice.
- To cook rice pudding, the rice grains must be split well and cooked with milk and enough time.
- When adding milk, raise the heat and reduce the heat to medium when the milk boils. Also, keep the lid of the pot open while cooking so that the rice pudding does not spill.
- You can dissolve rock candy in some water and replace it with sugar.
- If you want to make rice pudding as a dessert, you should let the water completely evaporate. Then pour it into the mold you want press it with the back of a spoon and let it stay in the refrigerator for a few hours until it hardens.
- To prepare rice pudding, be sure to use half-grain rice or crush the rice with the back of a spoon.
- To make this dessert tastier, soak pistachio and almond slices in rose water and sugar until the bitter taste of the slices is removed.
- According to your taste, you can serve this dessert with honey or sugar.
- In Tabriz,shir berenj is served with rosehip jam, which has a wonderful aroma and taste. Also, some people eat it with grape juice.
- If you want to prepare shir berenj with cream, reduce one cup of milk and pour one cup of cream instead.
- You can eat this dessert as a warm appetizer or as a cold dessert.
- To give this dessert a pleasant taste in addition to the above properties, add one or two sticks of cinnamon to it while boiling the milk.
- Another way of serving is not adding sugar while cooking it. When serving, anyone can sweeten it with sugar as much as they want.
- Rice pudding can be eaten with honey and cinnamon to relieve the cold.
12 Powerful Health Benefits of Milk
A healthy diet, essential for overall well-being, is easier than you think by simply including three servings of dairy daily, including delicious and nutritious milk.
Boosts Your Immune System
Drink more milk to strengthen your immune system. Nutrient-rich dairy milk is packed with immune-boosting vitamins and nutrients like protein, vitamin D, vitamin A, zinc, and more.
Improves Your Bone and Teeth Health
Calcium is essential for bone and teeth health and reducing stress fractures. An easy way to get more calcium in your diet is drinking more dairy milk and eating cheese, yogurt, and other dairy foods.
Aids Your Digestive Health
Focusing on your digestive health is a great way to get the most out of your diet. Start with getting three servings of dairy daily. Dairy is full of digestive aids like vitamin D for calcium absorption, the B vitamins that help convert food into energy, and selenium to stabilize the metabolism.
FAQ for shir berenj:
- How many calories shir berenj has?
Every 100 grams of this dessert is 111 calories.
- How we can give this dessert aroma?
We can add cinnamon sticks and rose water.
- How we should serve rice pudding?
Rice pudding serves both warm and cold.
- What is the benefit of shir berenj?
Persian shir berenj is useful because it contains milk (a rich source of calcium) and rice (rich in group B vitamins) as well as tonic and soothing flavorings such as cardamom and rose water.
Did you like this recipe?
- Please comment on your experience with making this food.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you shir berenj.
- You can ask me questions about Persian shir berenj in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.