Fereni is one of the foods that is mostly used as a dessert and it is generally prepared from rice flour with milk, along with rose water and cinnamon to make it tasty and fragrant. This dessert is sometimes prepared with starch.
As a nutritious meal,fereni has a long history, and making porridge goes back a history of 4500 years, which means that many people on the planet, from China and India to Scotland, have been familiar with this dessert since then.
This dessert is a complete food that all of us are somehow familiar with. Since it is considered the most helpful meal for the baby, the beginning of the life of each of us likely started with this meal.
The way to prepare this dessert is very simple and does not need many tips and special skills; the only thing that is needed is patience and a relatively strong arm because due to the use of rice flour and it does not lump, you have to stir it all for a while.
A meal is made with milk and rice flour, and the good thing is that it is not limited to a specific recipe, and you can add ingredients you like, such as rose water, saffron, cardamom, cinnamon, fruit, dates, etc.
There are many ways to make rice flour pudding, which allows babies to adults to benefit from the properties of this perfect food.
In the meals cook we will introduce you to several methods of preparing delicious Persian pudding desserts. In this article,fereni with rice flour, wheat flour, starch, and mold starch are taught. So stay with us.
For: 2 people
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
The amount of calories in 100 grams of porridge with starch: is 199 calories.
My experience table:
|My level of interest is from 1 to 10
|The ease of cooking
|Daily breakfast, dessert
|What is served with?
1. Fereni starch pudding
|4 tablespoons or half a cup
|Rose water and cardamom
|as needed (more for flavoring, and it is better not to use too much)
How to make fereni with starch? (fereni with starch recipe)
You can also read samanu recipe.
This dessert is one of the most delicious and popular desserts, especially in the holy month of Ramadan, which is served for iftar. This dessert is very simple to make and at the same time has a lot of nutrients, which is suitable for recovering lost energy during fasting. Follow the instructions below to prepare this dessert with starch.
Instruction fereni starch pudding:
1. Washing starch:
The old people first wash the starch with a little water to remove dirt. But today’s starches are clean, and there is no need for this. In any case, if you are going to wash and clean the starch, you should very quickly pour half a cup of water on the starch and then stir it a little and discard the water; just don’t let the starch mix with the water completely.
2. Combine ingredients:
In the second step of how to make Persian pudding with starch, after cleaning the starch, first, pour cold milk into a pot. Then, add starch and sugar to it. Turn on the flame under the gas and stir well because the starch does not lump. Continue stirring until the starch concentration is right.
3. Add cardamom and rose water to it:
Then we add rose water, cardamom, and other ingredients to this and mix again. After a few minutes, remove the dessert from the stove. In this recipe, starch dessert ingredients are suitable for 2 people. If you wish, you can double the amount of ingredients.
Notes for Persian starch pudding:
- You can also use honey instead of sugar.
- Peel the cardamom and remove the cardamom seeds.
- This dessert prepared with starch gets cold very quickly, and you have to pour it into a bowl and eat it quickly.
2. Fereni with rice flour
The amount of calories in 100 grams of porridge with rice flour: 250 calories
|Full-fat pasteurized milk
|half a glass
|Cardamom and rose water
|as needed (enough to make your taste good)
|as much as needed (for decoration)
|as much as needed (for decoration)
How to make fereni with rice flour?
You don’t need to have starch to make fereni, you can make firini with rice flour. The cooking method of both types of firini is similar and only the main ingredient is different. It means that starch is replaced with rice flour. You can use the recipe below to cook this dessert.
1. Combine flour, sugar and milk:
How to make this dessert with rice flour is just like the steps of preparing firini with starch. In this preparation, instead of using starch, we should use rice flour. In the first step of how to prepare fereni with rice flour, we first pour cold milk into a pot and then add sugar and rice flour to it.
Before you put the mixture of flour, milk, and sugar on the stove, stir the ingredients well to combine them. Rice flour must be dissolved in cold milk. Otherwise, there is a possibility of it being hard. In the preparation of saffron porridge, melted saffron should be added to the ingredients at this stage.
2. Cooking rice flour:
In the second step of how to prepare firini with rice flour put it on a gentle flame and add water. Just make sure that when preparing this dessert with rice flour, you have to stir the dessert continuously because the rice flour does not lump.
Finally, when the consistency of the dessert reaches the normal level, add cardamom and rose water and stir again, after ten minutes, remove it from the stove and eat it. Note that after this dessert is ready, quickly pour it into small bowls.
Notes for Persian pudding:
- After preparing Persian pudding, be sure to cool it in the kitchen environment and then put it in the refrigerator so that this dessert does not leak water.
- Instead of sugar and powdered sugar, you can use honey or other natural sweeteners.
- If you want your dessert to be saffron or chocolate, add some saffron or cocoa powder when adding flour to it.
- Be sure to dissolve the rice flour in cold water so that it does not form lumps.
- The freshness of rice flour has a wonderful effect on the color and aroma of the dessert.
- During the preparation of the dessert, the heat should always be low, and the firini should be constantly stirred.
- To decorate the dessert, you can use cinnamon, rose, pistachio slices, almonds, sesame, or anything you like.
- This dessert is one of the very delicious meals that was known as a fattening food in the past but now, according to new research, it is one of the most useful desserts for fitness.
- If the firini is not sweet, it can soften and smooth the throat and prepare for dinner and iftar.
- This Persian dessert is one of those desserts that knows no time and place and is delicious and hearty at any time of the year, in any season, in any condition, and for any age.
- One of the most nutritious types of this dessert is the preparation of it with rice flour, which in addition to its properties, has a unique flavor and taste.
- It is better to sift the rice flour twice before using it in the way of making this dessert with rice flour.
3. Fereni with wheat flour
|2 and 1/2 tablespoons
How to make fereni with wheat flour?
- 1. Sift wheat flour:
- To prepare this dessert with wheat flour, you must first sift the flour twice.
- 2. Combine flour and milk:
- Then pour the flour together with the cold milk in a pot and mix well. Then add sugar to it and mix the ingredients well.
- 3. Stir this ingredients constantly:
- After the sugar is completely dissolved in the milk, turn on the gas flame on low heat. Stir the wheat flour persian pudding ingredients continuously until the milk boils.
- 4. Add the butter:
- Then add the butter to the dessert. When the butter melts, add rose water. Keep stirring the ingredients until the Persian pudding reaches the right consistency. Not too loose and not too hard (note that the dessert will become firmer and thicker when it cools).
- 5. Serve and decorate:
- Finally, turn off the gas flame and serve the wheat flour this in a suitable bowl. When the dessert cools down, decorate it with pistachio slices, almonds, or cinnamon.
4. Mold starch fereni
- To make this dessert for guests, you can prepare it in the mold. For this, you need to use dessert molds. Starch this dessert is more suitable for this. To make mold this, you have to pour it into the desired mold after preparing it.
- Then let the dessert cool completely. Put it in the refrigerator for a few hours. After this dessert is completely cooled, then turn the dessert on a plate and decorate it with pistachio slices, almond slices, etc.
- To make this for guests and a mold with rice flour, you can also add some gelatin powder to this dessert to make it hard. To add gelatin powder to the dessert, remember to dissolve the gelatin in water, and after the dessert is completely cooled, add the gelatin to it and stir.
- Adding gelatin while the dessert is hot will cause it to break up. Finally, you can use cardamom and rose water while cooking to have a delicious homemade dessert.
- To pour the Persian pudding into the mold, it is better to use silicone molds and not grease them because it will spoil the dessert.
Key points in the preparation of various types of fereni:
- To make the Persian pudding more beautiful and festive, you can divide it into three parts and add saffron to one part and cocoa powder to another part so that you have a beautiful three-colored dessert.
- To find out the consistency of your dessert, draw a line on the dessert with a spoon. If a trace of the spoon remains on this dessert, the consistency of it is suitable.
- Many people use water instead of milk to make this dessert. How to make this with water is just like how to make this dessert with milk. You only need to use the same amount of water instead of milk.
- How to prepare saffron fereni is just like a simple one. It is only necessary to brew some thick saffron and then add it to Persian pudding along with sugar.
- You can also make your dessert with cocoa flavor. For this, you should add some cocoa powder to the dessert when adding flour.
- To decorate this dessert, it is better to wait a few minutes after pouring it into the dish. When the surface is somehow hardened, then you can safely decorate it.
- You can use thick brewed saffron to decorate white. For this, you can pour some saffron on it with the tip of a tablespoon or draw your desired design on it.
- Using dry roses is also a good idea to decorate it.
- To decorate this dessert with cinnamon or coconut powder, you can use ready-made stencils.
- If the dessert does not leak after cooking, you should put it in the kitchen to cool down. After cooling completely, put it in the refrigerator.
- To sweeten this dessert, you can use honey or date juice instead of sugar or powdered sugar.
- If you use cardamom in the preparation of it, you can remove rose water.
- You can also add some vanilla to make it more fragrant.
- You can use the method of making firini with rice flour to make this dessert for babies. You can also use powdered milk instead of pasteurized milk.
- To make this dessert, be sure to lower the gas flame and stir it constantly so that it does not stick. If by chance this dessert sticks to the bottom, try not to stir the ingredients from the bottom of the pot and stir the rest of the ingredients above 2 mm of the pot, or change the pot and separate the upper parts because the smell of the burnt part is transferred to the other parts.
- Eating hot Persian pudding in winter is recommended for people who have a cold or a sore throat. Of course, it is better to use simple firini without sugar or low sugar.
- This dessert is a useful food containing vitamin B and therefore it is recommended for children and adults to eat it.
- To prepare vanilla fereni, prepare this with milk or water (any of the above methods), and in the last 5 minutes, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder to preserve its aroma and taste. It is better not to add saffron or rose water if you add vanilla.
- You can pour this dessert prepared with hot starch into the mold and after it has completely cooled, turn the mold to have a mold persian pudding. For this, you can use silicone molds and place the mold in the refrigerator for a few hours. Then, take out the Persian pudding slowly and put it in a serving dish.
- To know if your Persian pudding is ready or not, draw a line on it with a spatula or spoon, and if the line remains and does not disappear quickly, your dessert is ready.
- This Persian dessert is a Ramadan food in different cities of Iran, especially in Shiraz, for iftar.
Milk is a rich source of protein, with just one cup containing 8 grams.
Protein is necessary for many vital functions in your body, including growth and development, cellular repair and immune system regulation (13Trusted Source).
Milk is considered a “complete protein,” meaning it contains all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for your body to function at an optimal level (14Trusted Source).
There are two main types of protein found in milk — casein and whey protein. Both are considered high-quality proteins.
Casein makes up the majority of the protein found in cow’s milk, comprising 70–80% of the total protein content. Whey accounts for around 20% (15Trusted Source).
Whey protein contains the branched-chain amino acids leucine, isoleucine and valine, all of which are linked to health benefits.
Properties of fereni for the body:
The healthier and more nutritious the food you prepare will have a positive effect on your life. This dessert is one of these special and healthy meals which, of course, is prepared at a very low cost and can be prepared in the shortest time.
- Strengthen the immune system.
- Rich in calcium
- Lower blood pressure
- Protection against cardiovascular diseases
- Compatible with diet
- Appetite regulation
- High in fibre
FAQ Persian Starch Pudding :
1. What kind of flour is used in the preparation of simple homemade fereni?
To prepare this dessert, you can use both wheat flour and rice flour or a mixture of both flour. It is also customary to use starch in the preparation of simple homemade this dessert.
2. How to understand that the dessert has reached enough concentration?
To know that your dessert is ready to serve and has reached the right consistency, draw a line on it with a spatula or spoon, and if the line remains and does not disappear quickly, your dessert is ready.
3. Is it better to use milk or water to prepare simple homemade this dessert?
It depends on your taste and the ingredients you have available. But in general, using milk makes the dessert more nutritious. If you use water, the color of this dessert will be more transparent.
4. What kind of sweetener can be used in making this dessert?
You can use sugar to make this delicious dessert. You can also substitute honey for sugar.
5. What ingredients can be used to decorate this?
Use brewed saffron, cinnamon, rose, and pistachio slices.
6. What is fereni In English?
Fereni in English is Persian starch pudding.
Did you like the Persian pudding recipe?
- If you have experience eating Persian pudding, please say your comment.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this spinach appetizer.
- You can ask me questions about fereni recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you make this dessert and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us on Facebook & mail.