The name “Shole Zard” reminds me of cooking this dessert in large pots. During specific religious days, my parents used to cook this dessert in large quantities.
After it was prepared, we poured the shole zard into small special containers and distributed them among the neighbors and the poor for free.
This custom has been in our family for a long time, and today, as the houses are getting smaller, we cook in small quantities and still divide between the poor and the neighbors.
What is Shole zard ?
Sholeh Zard (Iranian saffron rice pudding) is one of the oldest and most famous Iranian desserts. This dessert is made from a combination of Persian rice with saffron, sugar, rose water, and water. This dessert is mostly served both hot and cold during Ramadan.
But if you need more information about the history and cooking method of this delicious dessert, stay with me. this dessert is very similar to another delicious Iranian shir berenj dessert with a few changes.
A cup of Persian tea is very pleasant after eating the shole zard.
For: 3 people
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook for: 60 minutes
Sholezard main ingredients:
|Cardamom (hel spice)
|Coconut powder, cinnamon
How to make sholeh zard?
Instruction Persian rice pudding:
1. To make shole zard, it is better to use half-grain rice because it gives a better glaze. The rice should be soaked in advance. Depending on the type of rice, the time to soak the rice is different.
Now, I want to tell you how to soak the rice. Because soaking the rice for making this dessert is different from other methods.
2. When I wash the rice several times until the water becomes clear, I empty a little of the water in which I soak the rice, pour half of the rose water into it, and let it soak for at least 2-3 hours.
I want to have a dessert with crazy aroma. In the meantime, I pour saffron into a small bowl with some ice cubes and let the ice melt and saffron colored.
3. After the rice is soaked, I take a pot, pour water in it, and let the water boil. Then I pour the rice that I had already soaked in it.
Note that the size of the pot in which you will cook this It should be bigger than the volume of your shole zard and there should be about 3 knuckles of water on the rice.
Persian Sholeh zard history:
The history of sholeh zard goes back to the time of Ibrahim Khan Zahir al-Daulah in the historic city of Kerman. It is said that one day Ibrahim Khan was cooking rice and by chance, the rice became soft and loose.
He added some saffron, rose water, and sugar to it so that the rice would not be wasted. Ibrahim Khan’s crew distributed it among the people because of the large amount of it and after that, this dessert became known as Ibrahim Khani.
When Ibrahim Khan gained a lot of power, he ordered to make this dessert every year at the beginning of the month of Safar and distributed among the people in copper vessels named after Ibrahim Khani in order to compensate for the damage caused by the Qajar era and to improve the nutrition of the people.
With the passage of time, the name of this dessert changed and today it is called shole zard, which is cooked and distributed among people as iftar in the month of Ramadan. This dessert is decorated with pistachio slices, almond slices, and cinnamon powder.
Properties of sholeh zard:
- This colorful and delicious Iranian dessert contains saffron, pistachio slices and almonds, and contains a variety of vitamins A, C, and D.
- Also, due to the presence of rice, it has a lot of calories and energy.
- This delicious dessert is not recommended for diabetics due to the presence of sugar.
- Also, the saffron in this dessert is very suitable for calming the mind and nerves.
- This dessert is easy to digest and suitable for digestion.
Tips for having delicious Sholeh zard:
- To prepare persian rice pudding be sure to wash the rice several times and soak it the night before.
- If the rice runs out of water during cooking, add some warm water.
- To taste the amount of sugar in shole zard, pour some of it into a bowl and let it cool, then taste, it because if it is hot, the sweetness of this dessert will not be accurate.
- If for any reason bottom of the pot of this dessert gets hard-boiled during cooking, don’t mix it while stirring in dishes and let it stay at the bottom of the pot.
Adding butter to this dessert gives a better flavor to this.
If you want your rice to have a nice color, add a little saffron and rose water while soaking the rice.
Use a steamer to brew this, this will prevent from getting hard after it cools down.
After adding the sugar, you must constantly stir this so that it does not stick to the bottom.
Adding sugar should be done step by step so that the sugar dissolves better.
Be sure to use high-quality and appropriate saffron to give the food a better yellow color.
You can also use a teaspoon of salt.
Add saffron before sugar so that the rice grains get a better color.
The amount of sugar should always be twice the amount of rice.
Soak almond slices with rose water to get a better taste and aroma.
Adding butter makes your dessert not crack after cooking.
Sholezard (also known as zard birinj or zarda) is a rice pudding composed of saffron, sugar, rose water, butter, cinnamon and cardamom. It is often made and distributed in substantial quantities in religious cermonies.
FAQ for sholeh zard :
- How many calories persian shole zard has?
Shole zard calories are 49cal in 1spoon.
- What is shole zard history?
The history of this delicious dessert goes back to the time of Ibrahim Khan Zahir al-Daulah in the historic city of Kerman.
- How to decorate this?
We can decorate Iranian rice pudding with pistachio and almond slices(Badam) and also cinnamon powder.
Did you make this recipe?
- Please let me know how it was by leaving a comment!
- You can ask me questions about sholeh zard and saffron in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- this dessert is suitable for vegetarians.
- I would love to see your dessert! Please tag me on Facebook or Instagram and make me happy!
Shole Zard Iranian Dessert Recipe in 10 Steps
Persian shole zard(iranian saffron rice pudding) is one of the most famous, delicious is prepared from rice, saffron, and sugar.
Recipe Yield: 3 servings
Preparation Time: PT20M
Cooking Time: PT1H
Total Time: PT1H20M
Recipe Video Name: shole zard recipe
Recipe Video Description: Shole Zard (Iranian rice pudding) is one of the oldest and most famous Iranian desserts. This dessert is made from a combination of Persian rice with saffron, sugar, rose water, and water. Shole zard is mostly served both hot and cold during Ramadan. But if you need more information about the history and cooking method of this delicious dessert, stay with me. this dessert is very similar to another delicious Iranian shir berenj dessert with a few changes. A cup of Persian tea is very pleasant after eating the shole zard.
Recipe Video Thumbnail: https://i9.ytimg.com/vi_webp/l2cYjf7undc/mqdefault.webp?v=64e8e149&sqp=COjAo6cG&rs=AOn4CLAkDkS9vHG_mGQXrmzyUXute7MMbw
- half-grain rice
- Almond slice
- Cinnamon powder
- Rose water
- Melted butter
- Cardamom powder
- Saffron (brewed)