Dampokhtak or dami baghali is one of the most delicious ways of making Iranian Pilaf. It is made with lupini beans with rice, which makes it smell so tempting that no one can stop their hunger from the pleasant smell of this Persian food.
Among the tastiest Iranian dishes is dam pokhtak or dami baghali, which is on our country’s list of authentic dishes.
Despite its easy recipe and food availability, this dish has many fans and is popular among the people of different cities and provinces.
Related: Kalam polo shirazi.
The simple way to dami baghali is very easy, and it is used exactly when you don’t have a lot of time and when you want a delicious and original dish that can be prepared quickly and has a special taste.
This traditional Iranian dish is prepared quickly and quickly from turmeric rice combined with lupini beans.
Making this delicious dish during the week is extremely enjoyable for those who have forgotten this dish. For those unfamiliar with this dish, it’s better to know that adding dami baghali to the weekly food list will make you experience a very interesting variety.
If you plan to make this delicious dish, stay with the meals cook so that we can continue to teach you how to make a simple dampokhtak
For: 6 people
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
386 calories per 100 grams
Ingredients dam pokhtak:
|Spices (salt, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and garlic powder)
Instruction Dam Pokhtak:
1. In the dampokhtak recipe with lupini beans, the first step is dedicated to soaking the beans. Therefore, first, it is necessary to pour the lupini beans into a bowl of water so that they are soaked and softened for 2 hours.
Then, clean and wash the rice, pour it into a separate bowl, and let it soak with water and salt.
2. In the next step, finely chop the onions and fry them in a pot of suitable size with half of the butter until they become light and golden. Then, set aside half of the fried onion.
3. Remove the soaked lupini beans from the water and add them to the hot onion in the pot until they are fried and slightly cooked.
After roasting the lupini beans, you should also add spices to the contents of the pot so that the onions and lupini beans become flavorful and fragrant.
4. After the lupini beans and onions, along with the spices, are well roasted and mixed and uniform, pour the water into the pot over the ingredients, and after placing the lid of the pot.
Let the ingredients inside the pot for 10 minutes to a quarter of an hour cook with water on a gentle stove flame.
5. In this step, it is necessary to drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot. After adding rice, add 2 cups of water to the pot and pour the rest of the hot onion into the pot.
After adding rice and water, you can add salt and brewed saffron to other ingredients to make the food more colorful and tasty.
6. After that, increase the stove’s heat so that the water in the pot boils. When the water in the pot boils, lower the heat and allow most of the water to evaporate.
The water in the pot should be drained until very little water remains inside.
7. When the food water is drained, add the liquid oil to the rice and leave the pot’s lid. Note that it is better to use a flame spreader at this stage and reduce the oven’s heat.
8. This food takes about 40 minutes to an hour to brew. After the steaming, put the rest of the butter on the rice until it melts.
Add some brewed saffron to this dish for a more formal taste and color. You can serve this traditional food of Tehran together with Nimro eggs, various salads, and pickles and enjoy eating dami baghali.
What is dampokhtak?
Dampokhtak has become one of Iran’s traditional and common dishes since the time of the First World War and following the famine crisis and lack of food items.
As the name of this dish suggests, the main ingredients of dami baghali are rice and lupini beans. Of course, depending on the nature and taste of people, other ingredients are also used to flavor this food.
The unique taste of this food, along with its wonderful aroma and color, makes many people use dami baghali as one of the authentic dishes at different parties.
You can also read ash anar recipe.
How to serve Dampokhtak?
- Dampokhtak is served with sir torshi, salad shirazi, mast o musir, and mast o khiar.
- Be sure to serve dami baghali with side dishes such as torshi liteh or sabzi khordan to make its taste more attractive.
- If you want, you can add eggs to dampokhtak.
- It is better to use animal oil for this food so that it gets a wonderful aroma. Otherwise, using a little butter to make it taste good is better.
- This food is basically considered a vegetarian food. Still, if you wish, you can also use minced meat in addition to this dish. Or the first stage, after roasting the onions, roast the minced meat together with it, and after roasting the meat, add lupini beans and fry.
Lupin or lupini are the yellow legume seeds of the genus Lupinus. They are traditionally eaten as a pickled snack food, primarily in the Mediterranean basin (L. albus), Latin America (L. mutabilis) and North Africa (L. angustifolius).
8 Notes for Dampokhtak:
- Lupini beans cook faster than green beans. So be careful not to overcook it so it doesn’t burn.
- Use hot water to cook lupini beans. Cold water makes the beans hard and makes them go away quickly.
- According to your taste, you can also use tomato paste when roasting onions and lupini beans. Still, authentic dam pokhtak without tomato paste has a yellow color that gets its yellowness from turmeric.
- You can replace half a cup of rice with smoked rice to make this food taste better. In this case, your food aroma will be wonderful.
FAQ for dami baghali:
1. What is the difference between a dami goje and a dampokhtak?
Dampokhtak is made from a combination of rice and lupini beans, and dami gojeh is one of the types of dami baghali.
2. What should we do so the rice does not become sticky?
To prevent your rice from getting lumpy, it is better to remove the lid around the pot with a spatula before putting it in the steamer so that there is a little air around the rice grains.
3. How much water should we add to make Kate?
To have a soft and delicious kate, you should add 1/5 cup of water for every cup of rice.
4. Is dami baghali healthy?
Yes, This food is excellent for the treatment of rheumatism. Due to the presence of lupini beans in this food, lupini beans contain a very high amount of calcium and vitamin D, which deposits calcium in the bones and increases their density.
5. What is served with dampokhtak?
Along with dampokhtak is served: salad shirazi, torshi liteh, torshi albaoo and sabzi khordan.
6. Can I freeze this food?
Yes, you can freeze this for 2 weeks.
7. How many calories are in dami baghali?
100 grams of this food contains 140 kcal.
8. What should we do so rice and beans do not stick together after cooking?
You should use a cloth (a piece of clean cloth under the lid of the pot) for the lid of the pot.
Did you like a recipe for this food?
- If you have experience eating Dampokhtak, please say your comment.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this stew without lamb.
- You can ask me questions about the Persian dami baghali recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you make this food and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us on @meals cook Facebook & mail.