khoresh-e aloo esfenaj is one of the traditional and delicious Iranian stews, which is usually served with Persian rice. The most time to consume this stew is during the cold seasons of the year, autumn and winter when spinach is found in abundance. Spinach is also used in Nargesi recipe.
Another reason why this stew is cooked more often in the cold season is its ability to boost the body’s immune system so that you are less likely to suffer from viral diseases such as influenza or colds.
My experience table:
|My level of interest is from 1 to 10
|The ease of cooking
|What is served with?
|Mast o khiar, mast o musir
Aloo esfenaj recipe
khoresh-e aloo esfenaj is cooked with spinach and golden plums and can be prepared as sour or mashed. Mutton meat is used in this stew.
The presence of spinach in this stew, along with its sour taste, which is caused by plums helps to absorb the iron in spinach and makes this stew very useful which is recommended for growing children and teenagers.
To see the complete and step-by-step tutorial on how to prepare khoresh-e aloo esfenaj stay with us.
For: 4 people
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook for:2 hours
Ingredient for khoresh-e aloo esfenaj:
| 8.8 ounce
|Turmeric powder and curry spices
|Salt, black pepper and cinnamon powder
Instruction for khoresh-e aloo esfenaj:
1. To prepare a delicious khoresh-e aloo esfenaj , in the beginning, we wash and peel the onion. Then we cut it into small gems. Next, we take a suitable pan and put it on the heat with a little oil until it gets hot.
2. Then add the onions and fry them until become light and golden. Then add the meat and saute until the meat juice is drawn and its color changes. At this stage, we add spices to the pan except for salt.
3. Then we saute it well until its aroma and smell come out. Then add enough water to cover the meat and let it cook for 2 hours with a low flame.
4. Note that all the above steps can be done in the pressure cooker and reduce the cooking time to 1 hour. Now the spinach is washed and after the water is removed, we chop it. Then we pour the spinach into a pan.
5. Then we put it on the heat until the spinach juice is completely drained. After that when the spinach juice is well drained add some salt to it and allow the spinach to brown and darken with low heat.
6. The point that we should pay attention to when cooking this delicious khoresh-e aloo esfenaj is that the more spinach is fried, the tastier it is, but the mineral salts and its properties decrease. Add the fried spinach to the stew.
7. At this stage if needed add a little more boiling water. Then we let the stew cook completely and reach the right consistency. Then we give about 30 to 40 minutes until the spinach is cooked.
8. When you see a layer of oil on the stew, we add washed steamed plums and salt and after the plums are cooked, we serve it in a suitable dish. This stew can be prepared and served with any kind of rice or chicken.
You can also read tahchin esfenaj recipe.
Notes for khoresh-e aloo esfenaj:
Studies show that plums deliver a good dose of antioxidants to help reduce inflammation and protect your bod from free radical damage.
They’re especially high in polyphenol antioxidants, which benefit bone health and may help reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease.
Properties of khoresh-e aloo esfenaj:
Due to its ingredients,khoresh aloo esfenaj is a stew full of properties and nutrients. Among its benefits and properties, the following can be mentioned:
- Fix digestive problems:
The most important advantage of this stew is for people who have digestive problems. The high fiber content of this stew helps people who suffer from chronic constipation a lot and it will prevent them from having hard bowel movements.
- Fixing and improving anemia:
A lot of iron and folic acid in spinach has a great effect on anemic people and helps to treat them. The plum in this stew is also a rich source of iron which adds to the properties of this stew.
- High protein:
As you know protein is very useful for the growth and proper functioning of muscles and its deficiency causes the body to face problems. The meat in plum and spinach stew is considered a good source of protein for the body.
- Source of vitamin A:
The spinach in this stew is rich in vitamin A which is very useful for eye health and helps maintain its health.
- Strengthen the immune system:
As mentioned before infectious diseases spread in autumn and winter and the only way to deal with them is to have a strong immune system. Spinach stew with antioxidants and various vitamins is one of the foods that is very effective in strengthening the immune system.
- What is the right drink with aloo esfenaj stew?
Vitamin C helps a lot in the absorption of iron so it is better to use drinks like natural orange juice with this delicious khoresh-e aloo esfenaj.
- What served with khoresht aloo esfenaj?
Did you like a recipe for khoresh-e aloo esfenaj?
- If you have experience eating khoresht aloo esfenaj, please say your comment.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you spinach stew without meat, because this stew full of iron and vitamins.
- You can ask me questions about Khoresh-e Aloo Esfenaj in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you make khoresh-e aloo esfenaj and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us on Facebook & mail.