Khoresh kadoo halvaei or Persian pumpkin stew is one of the traditional and old Iranian stews. This stew is mostly cooked in the country’s south, especially Bushehr.
Khoresh kadoo halvaei is a food with color, aroma, and autumn taste. This food has a warm nature, so its cooking is popular in the cold seasons, from the north to the south of the country.
Due to the presence of pumpkin, this stew has many excellent properties, which I will explain in detail below.
So stay with meals cook until the end of this article and include this healthy and delicious dish in your fall and winter food list and Yalda night food list.
How to make khoresh kadoo halvaei?
Pumpkin stew has been preserved since the Safavid period, although its recipe has changed in the country’s south. This stew is special for autumn and winter; for many people, it may be new, and it is strange that you can prepare a meal or a delicious stew with pumpkin!
But in general, this fruit is combined and prepared with various recipes and ingredients, all called khoresh kadoo halvaei. Despite its name, pumpkin is a very warm fruit. Therefore, preparing and serving this stew should be addressed in cold seasons.
Of course, this dish is also prepared with red meat, but some people make it with chicken, and both recipes have their fans. This stew is served with saffron rice and spices such as seer torshi, mast o khiar, and zeytoon parvardeh.
Khoresh kadoo halvaei recipe
For: 4 people
Preparation and cooking time: 1.5 to 3 hours
The number of calories per 100 grams: 59.2 kcal
Another khoresht you can read is khoresht aloo ba morgh.
Ingredients for Persian pumpkin stew:
|0.6 or 0.7 pound
|Half a teaspoon
|A quarter of a teaspoon
Instruction khoresh kadoo halvaei:
1. First, chop the onion to prepare this traditional and delicious stew. Pour a little oil into a suitable pot. Add the chopped onion, fry the onion, and let it caramelize and fry a little.
2. Then add the mutton to the fried onions. Stir again and let the meat fry a little. Chop or grate the garlic. After roasting the meat with onions, add garlic.
3. Then, pour the spices. Do not add salt at this stage because it prevents the meat from cooking properly and on time. After adding the spices, stir all the ingredients well so the spices are roasted, and the aroma comes out.
4. Then add the tomato paste. Stir well and let the tomato paste and other ingredients fry a little on low heat to become more colorful!
5. After that, add one or two tablespoons of brewed saffron. Now add about two to three cups of water to the meat mixture.
Close the lid of the pot. Reduce the heat and let the meat cook. It may take almost two hours to cook the meat.
6. Meanwhile, peel the pumpkins and cut them into equal pieces. It is better to make cuts of the same size. The slices should be thick enough because the pumpkins are supposed to be cooked and fully visible in the stew.
Now pour some butter into a suitable non-stick pan and put it on heat until the butter melts, and add the pumpkins to the butter.
7. At this stage, you should fry the pumpkins in butter. When one side of the pumpkin is red and golden, turn it over and make the other side of the pumpkin red and golden in the same way.
Until all parts of the pumpkin are completely fried.
8. After the meat cooking process is complete and the meat is cooked, add the fried pumpkins in butter to the meat mixture and then add the salt.
9. Also add lemon juice to khoresh kadoo halvaei. Now it’s time to add the delicious plums to the stew. Add the plums to the stew.
10. Close the pot lid again and let the pumpkins and plums soften for about half an hour until the stew is completely ready.
At this stage, you can add a little saffron to make the stew more colorful. There is no need to crush and soften the pumpkins!
Otherwise, when cooking khoresh kadoo halavei in the serving dish, the pumpkins will be crushed, and the stew will lose its original shape.
Pumpkins should be fully cooked, but they should not be crushed too much.
After adding pumpkins and plums for half an hour, the stew is completely settled and ready. This stew should not be too juicy.
It should be glazed but not too watery. In any case, it depends on your taste!
11. Now, khorehs kadoo halavei is ready for lunch! Colorful and glazed stew, very tasty and nutritious. Just put the stew in the serving dish.
You can also use some pistachio slices to decorate the stew. So when you ask yourself what to make with pumpkin? You can make this delicious stew.
You can also read khoresh havij recipe.
Benefits of pumpkin
Due to the presence of pumpkin, this stew has many properties and is very nutritious and useful!
Khoresh kadoo halvaei is prepared differently, and different ingredients may be used. Even in the country’s south, everyone may have a way to prepare this stew!
This fruit is rich in vitamins C, A, B, and E, which are very useful for improving and strengthening the health of the body.
Salads, desserts, and even stews can be made with this healthy pumpkin, although it is easy to prepare this stew or other meals that can be prepared with it.
Some of the properties of this delicious food are preventive colds, reducing asthma attacks, improving the body’s immune system, preventing stomach ulcers, etc.
Related: khoresh beh recipe.
Notes for khoresh kadoo halvaei:
- As mentioned in the beginning, this stew is prepared in different ways, and you can add flavor to the stew according to your taste!
- You can use some cob in this stew, but the amount of cob should be manageable, like khoresh gheymeh. Two tablespoons are enough for this amount of ingredients. Bushharis people sometimes add potatoes or tomatoes to this stew; even lentils are used!
- You can add potatoes and tomatoes to the stew according to your taste.
- You should add salt in stews with meat such as lamb or beef after ensuring the meat is cooked. If you add it first, the meat will be slowly cooked, and it will take longer.
- This stew is one of the stews with a somehow sour flavor! Many people may make this stew sweet or give it a sweet taste.
- For this purpose, you can add one or two tablespoons of sugar when adding plums to khoresh kadoo halvaei. If you do not like sweet stews, remove the sugar. In this recipe, sugar is removed, and the stew has a more sour taste! You can increase or decrease the amount of lemon juice in the stew.
- Finally, by tasting khoresh kadoo halvaei, you can increase or decrease its seasoning.
- Be sure to fry the pumpkins in butter for a better taste and aroma.
- You can increase or decrease the amount and proportion of meat and pumpkin according to your taste.
- You can also use cardamom as a flavoring agent for this dish. If you use cardamom powder, add a quarter of a teaspoon to the stew at the beginning. If you are using cardamom seeds, add them to the stew for the last half hour, which you have to remove from the stew at the end.
- Pay attention that the aroma of cardamom should be manageable because other aromas, such as cinnamon and saffron, are also used in this stew. One cardamom is enough for khoresh kadoo halvaei.
FAQ khoresh kadoo halvaei
1. What is served with pumpkin stew?
Pumpkin stew is served with mast o khair, seer torshi, and zeytoon parvardeh.
2. Can I freeze this stew?
Yes, you can freeze khoresh kadoo halvaei for 1 month.
3. What are the main ingredients in khoresh kadoo halvaei?
the main ingredients in khoresh kadoo halvaei are Mutton, Pumpkin, Stewed plums, Onion, and Tomato paste.
Did you like the Persian pumpkin stew recipe?
- Please share your experience with making khoresh kadoo halavaei.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest this glazed without meat.
- You can ask me questions about the Persian pumpkin stew recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you make this stew and love the taste of it, please share your pic and video with us on Facebook & YouTube.