khoresh Gheymeh sibzamini or gheymeh polo, which is a combination of yellow split peas, meat, and potatoes with limoo amani.It is one of the oldest traditional Iranian stews next to khoresh Ghorme Sabzi.
The history of this stew also goes back to the Qajar era in Iran. Gheymeh stew In the meaning of the word, it is also referred to finely chopped meat. Gheymeh polo (polo means rice) is another name for this stew. This stew is known as the king of stews in Iran.
In different places,gheymeh is made with different methods and recipes, such as gheymeh Nesar, Yazdi gheymeh Stew, and gheymeh bademjan (khoresht gheymeh bademjan). The exact history of the origin of this food is not available, but this stew, which has Turkish roots, was invented in the regions of Azerbaijan.
To cook khoresh gheymeh sibzamini, is made from yellow split peas, red meat, potatoes, and tomato paste, and for aroma, Saffron is used in it. this stew is served with Persian rice. Limoo Amani is also used in it for sourness for people who love the taste of sourness in foods and stews.
Soup jo with chicken is usually used before serving this dish for better digestion.
For: 4 people
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cook for: 240 minutes
Khoresh gheymeh sibzamini ingredients:
|Yellow split peas
|Limoo Amani (Pierce the sides with the tip of a sharp knife and soak in hot water for 5 minutes before adding it to the stew)
|Cross rib roast beef or a similar roast, cubed into 1-inch pieces (may use cubed lamb instead)
|Large onion sliced thin and fried to golden brown (5 ounces fried onions)
|Ground saffron (optional)
|Oil to fry onions
|Oil for frying the potato wedges
|Medium white potatoes peeled and cut into thin wedges
How to make Khoresh Gheymeh Sibzamini? (khoresh Gheymeh Recipe)
Instruction khoresht gheymeh sibzamini:
1. Soak yellow split peas in some water for 24 hours before (during the soaking, change the water 2–3 times) then pour it in a colander while cooking.
2. Pick up the onion slice it very thin and fry to golden brown in hot oil. Then add salt, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder, and black pepper to it and then saute the meat on it.
3. Then we add lamb or veal of our choice to the pot. We fry the meat with hot onion for about 5 minutes.
4. Then add tomato paste and saute it until the tomato paste gives the color and the oil becomes somehow red.
Add the yellow split peas and limoo amani to khoresh gheymeh sibzamini.
5. Now it’s time to add ground saffron (Add the saffron in a small ramekin or cup and add 2–3 small pieces of ice to it and let a few minutes until saffron gives the color. Then add it to your food)
6. At last pour 2–3 cups water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Any time it comes to a boil reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it boil for 3 to 4 hours until reduce the stew water and let the stew glaze (see a layer of oil on it).
7. Now your khoresh gheymeh sibzamini is ready.
8. Now pick up a frying pan and pour oil for frying potato and let it become hot. then add a little salt to it and add potato and fry it with medium heat. Be careful not to burn it.
9. Pour your gheymeh stew into a bowl and add frying potatoes to it. enjoy eating gheymeh stew with Persian rice and tahdig.
You can also read khoresh havij recipe.
Notes for khoresht gheymeh sibzamini:
- Using onion in khoresh gheymeh sibzamini creates glaze in this stew.Do not forget not to reduce the amount of onion.
- Be sure to fry the yellow split peas together with the meat so that does not get crushed during cooking.
- Try to keep your ingredients fresh sothey cook better and taste better.
- Do not saute and fry the meat too much because it will take longer time to cook.
- When frying the onion be careful that if it is fried too much,it will burn by adding the next ingredients.
- To cook the yellow split peas better,you can soak them in water for half an hour before starting
- Adding cinnamon to khoresh gheymeh sibzamini greatly affects its taste.
- To thicken this stew,let the ingredients cook slowly with low heat and you can add a few pieces of tomato while cooking.
- Roasting the meat enough causes its raw smell to be taken away,this is also true for yellow split peas.
- The yellow split peas can be cooked separately in water for a quarter of an hour until the smell of them is removed and added to the stew in the last 40 minutes so that it is not crushed.
- Beside khoresh gheymeh sibzamini,you can use drinks such as persian doogh or different sweet syrups.
- Fry the potatoes to the extent that they do not burn and do not remain raw on the other side.For this purpose,it is better to cut the potatoes in the same shape so that they are easier to fry.
- The tomato paste you add may sometimes cause the stew to be So be careful to use a good colored paste.
- In order not to make the stew bitter,you can remove the inside of the lemons or soak the lemons in water beforehand.Sometimes lemons are removed from the stew after a few boils so that it does not become bitter.
- First of all,it is better to be careful in choosing the cooking and serving dish.The dish you choose to cook gheymeh stew should be made of copper.
- Chop the meats as small as possible. The smaller the meats are cut,the tastier stew will be.
- Serve khoresh gheymeh sibzamini with persian rice and use different types of yogurt such as zeytoon parvardeh, mast o khiar ,mast o musir ,salad shirazi and sabzi khordan to make the stew even more delicious.
Black pepper is produced from the still-green, unripe drupe of the pepper plant. The drupes are cooked briefly in hot water, both to clean them and to prepare them for drying. The heat ruptures cell walls in the pepper, speeding the work of browning enzymes during drying.The drupes dry in the sun or by machine for several days, during which the pepper skin around the seed shrinks and darkens into a thin, wrinkled black layer. Once dry, the spice is called black peppercorn. On some estates, the berries are separated from the stem by hand and then sun-dried without boiling.
After the peppercorns are dried, pepper spirit and oil can be extracted from the berries by crushing them. Pepper spirit is used in many medicinal and beauty products. Pepper oil is also used as an ayurvedic massage oil and in certain beauty and herbal treatments.
- How many types of Khoresh Gheymeh do we have?
We have khoresh gheymeh sibzamini,gheymeh bademjoon and gheymeh nesar.
- How many calories khoresh gheymeh has?
Khoresh gheymeh sibzamini calories is 45kcal in 1spoon.
- How long take to cook khoresh gheymeh sibzamini?
We need 3 to 4 hours to cook this stew.
Related: bademjan shekam por.
Did you like khoresh gheymeh sibzamini recipe?
- Please share your experience about cooking this delicious stew.
- You can ask me questions about Khoresh Gheymeh sibzamini in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you bake this stew and love the taste of it,please share your pic with us in facebook & email.