Morasa polo with chicken is a very delicious and elegant and, at the same time, simple food that is mostly served at parties and is cooked in most Iranian homes on one of the biggest nights in Iran, called Yalda night.
Whatever I can tell you about the beauty and deliciousness of this dish is not enough. Cooking this dish requires time and precision.
But if you have a very special and important guest, or if you want to prepare a suitable dish for a special night such as a wedding anniversary or production night, Morasa Polo is the best choice.
If you are a tasteful and professional cook, be sure to stay with me until the end of this article.
My experience table:
|My level of interest is from 1 to 10
|The ease of cooking
|Daily meal, party meal
|What is served with?
|Sir torshi, Zeytoon parvardeh
For: 5 people
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 2 hours
|Hot sauce (optional)
|2 to 3 tablespoons
1. I use chicken breast to make morasa polo, but you can also use chicken thigh or even lamb fillet. We need approximately 180 grams of chicken breast for each person, which can be changed if desired.
I make the chicken breasts in a snail shape to make the food more beautiful, but you can also make it simply.
2. First, I use a sharp knife and cut chickens from the side of them, as in the picture below. If the chicken breasts are too big and fat, you can divide them into 3 parts and cut them.
Now, I cut it into strips and put it aside.
3. I take a small bowl and pour the saffron in it along with some ice cubes and let the ice melt and the saffron-colored.
Now I take a big onion and cut it in half, peel it, and wash it. I chop it and put it aside.
4. I take a big bowl and put the chickens in it. Then, pour the saffron we prepared on it, mix it with the chickens by hand, and leave it aside for 10 minutes until the chickens get the color and aroma of saffron. I take another dish and pour the onions into it.
I press the onions with my hand a little until the juice comes out (this onion juice will remove the smell of the chicken wound, and the chickens will be softer after cooking).
5. At this stage, I add the spices to the onion. For every 1 kilo of meat, 10 to 12 grams of salt are needed.
Add garlic powder, ginger powder, paprika, black pepper, and chicken extract, and then yogurt, mustard sauce, and, If desired, hot pepper sauce.
Now I wash the lemon and cut it in half, pour the water on the rest of the ingredients, and mix all the ingredients.
6. Now I add all the ingredients to the chicken and mix well. You have to do this slowly so that the chickens don’t split in half.
Now, it’s time to add oil. Adding oil must be done at the last stage because oil does not let the ingredients mix with the chicken.
I cover the bowl with cellophane and put it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours until the chickens are fully flavored.
7. I wash the carrots, peel them, and cut them into slices, as shown in the picture below. I take 2 onions, peel them, and wash them. Then, I cut them into slices on the kitchen board. Now we have to fry them like chips.
To do this, we take a pot, pour water into it, and let it boil. Then I add ½ teaspoon of turmeric to it and then add the onions that I cut into slices, and after 3 minutes, I take the onions out of the water.
I pass the onions through a strainer to remove excess water. We allow the onions to dry (if they are not dry, the onions will be hard and crispy after frying).
8. In the meantime, I take a pan and put it on the heat. After the pan is hot, I put a small piece of butter in it and let it melt. Then, I pour the sliced almonds in it and fry it a little until its rawness is removed.
I do the same for sliced pistachios and saute them with a little butter until the rawness is removed. (I definitely saute pistachio and almond slices separately so that it is easier to decorate the food when serving).
9. Now, with a little butter and 1 teaspoon of sugar, I fry the barberries that have been washed before. Sauting for 30 seconds to 1 minute is enough for the barberry (it is better to soak the barberry before roasting). In the next step, I fry the raisins a little with butter.
10. In the last step, I pour the carrots into a pan, add half a glass of water to it, put it on heat, and wait for 5 minutes until the carrots soften a little.
Now here, if the onions become dry, I take a suitable pot or pan, pour the oil into it, and let it heat up.
Then I pour the onions into it and stir it every 2-3 minutes. For better and easier and faster frying of the onions, it is better to catch the oil on the onions.
11. In the meantime, after 5 minutes of cooking carrots and the water evaporates, I add butter and fry it (if you want, you can add a very small amount of sugar).
I fry for 1-2 minutes and keep aside. Now I will go to the onions, and if they are golden, I will take them out of the pot. You can put the onions on a disposable kitchen towel after frying to drain the oil.
12. Now, after 2-3 hours of the chickens staying in the refrigerator, I take them out and shape them as shown in the picture below. I heat the oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. Now, I put the oven tray in the oven and give it 15 to 20 minutes to cook. At this time, we prepared the rice that we had already soaked and cooked in the same way as the Iranian rice cooking method.
After the rice is cooked, mix about 1 bowl of it with saffron.
14. Now, I take the chickens out of the oven to serve with the food. First, I pour the rice into a dish and pour saffron rice on it. I pour fried onion, raisins, barberry and carrot on it and design it.
15. This delicious food is ready. You can eat it and enjoy it with your loved ones.
What is served with Morasa polo?
Morasa polo is one of those special dishes for important events and parties. Along with this delicious and beautiful food, you should use excellent salads and desserts. One of these side dishes is salad shirazi.
This salad is an inseparable part of Iranian cuisine. Second, you can use mast o khiar decorated with mint and gol mohammadi.
Pickles like seer torshi and torshi anbeh(Persian pickled mango) are excellent and suitable for this dish.
History of morasa polo:
The history of morasa polo dates back to the Safavid period. During this period, Iranian cooking made tremendous progress, and many Iranian court dishes were born, such as morasa polo.
Since the decoration of this dish is as important as the quality of its components, and the rice is covered with all kinds of nuts and colourful fruits, it can be compared to an Iranian carpet in terms of beauty.
Because of barberry and orange peel slices it is one of the foods that the people of Fars and Khorasan provinces cook and like more than other provinces of Iran.
Of course, in Khorasan province, this dish is called ranginak polo, so if you ever have a party from these 2 provinces, it is better to choose morasa poloas, one of the dishes you choose for your reception.
Sometimes, this dish is confused with shirin polo and small details are missed while cooking it.
Morasa polo Notes:
- The use of raisins depends on your taste. If you like it, you can use its different types, and if you don’t like it, you can delete it.
- It is better to use the fillet or chicken breast.
- Decorating this food is one of its main pillars. Saffron rice, barberry, pistachio slices and almonds are the main actors of this performance and you can use the rest of the ingredients according to your taste.
- You can use a little rose water to soak almonds and pistachios to give the food a better taste and smell.
- To have tasty and fragrant rice, make sure to use high-quality Iranian rice to prepare it.
Be sure to use thick and high-quality saffron to cook this polo.
- You can make this pollo with mutton, for example, mutton muscle meat in the same way. If you want, cook the muscle separately and place it next to the rice.
- You can use turkey instead of chicken. It is also customary to use minced meat in the form of meatballs to prepare this dish.
1. What is the difference between This polo and Shirin polo?
One of the main ingredients of shirin polo is carrot, which is not included in morasa polo another thing is that in the preparation of shirin polo.
Ingredients are added layer by layer, but in morasa polo the ingredients are not layers and different slices are poured on the pilaf during the decoration, of course, except for a thin layer of orange and almond peel slices on the chicken, which is served with morasa polo.
2. What is served with morasa polo?
This food is served with mast o khiar, mast o musir, sir torshi, torshi albaloo, zeytoon parvardeh and Persian doogh.
3. Can I freeze this polo for 1 week?
No, You can keep this food in the refrigerator for 5 days.
Did you like this recipe?
- Please share your experience about making this appetizer.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this polo .
- You can ask me questions about morasa polo recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you make this recipe and love the taste of it, please share your pic and video with us on facebook and YouTube.