Vavishka is a straightforward food made from a combination of minced meat and potatoes and is usually eaten with kate. The origin of this food is Gilani, but it is prepared all over our beautiful country of Iran.
Vavishka is one of those foods that is prepared very quickly and is for those times when you don’t have enough time to prepare food and at the same time you are very hungry.
I remember that when my mother used to makethis food, I only ate potatoes with rice. Little by little, as time passed and I got married, my opinion about meat changed. I tried this food with meat once and realized how delicious it is.
There, I realized what a big mistake I had made these few years, and now I always make this delicious food for my family.
So today, I want to share with you how to prepare this simple and delicious food. Please stay with me until the end of the article.
My experience table:
|My level of interest is from 1 to 10
|The ease of cooking
|What is served with?
|Sabzi khordan, Mast o musir
Ingredients for Iranian Vavishka with Minced Meat :
|Salt and black pepper
Instruction for persian Vavishka:
1. To make Vavishka, I start with rice. I wash the rice, soak it, and set it aside. Depending on the rice type, each rice must be soaked for 1 to 3 hours.
Then I peel, wash, and chop the onion. I take a suitable frying pan, pour oil into it, and put it on the heat. I pour the onions into the frying pan and let them fry until golden.
2. Now, it’s time to add the spices to it. I add turmeric, black pepper, garlic powder, cinnamon, thyme, salt, and the minced meat I prepared before putting it in the pan.
I fry it a little with onions and spices and then add tomato paste to them. The tomato paste must be entirely fried in the oil.
3. After the tomato paste turned color, I added very little water to the pan. I reduce the heat and allow the meat to cook well on low heat. It takes 20 to 25 minutes for meat to be cooked.
Be careful that The heat of the gas should not be too high so that the meat burns or the water runs out and burns.
4. After cooking, the meat should be a little watery because this food is a little dry. You can make a separate sauce for this food and serve it with the meal.
5. At this time, I wash the potatoes well and peel them. Then I chop them on the kitchen board (the size of the potatoes depends on you).
I take a suitable frying pan, pour oil, and then add the chopped potatoes. I put the pan on high heat and fried the potatoes.
6. Now it’s time to make the rice. I take the rice I had already soaked and pour it into a suitable pot with the water.
I add the right amount of salt and liquid oil and heat it on high heat until it boils. Then, I lower the heat and let the water boil.
The water should be completely steamed. It should be noted that the rice does not loosen before the water runs out.
This is different according to the type of rice, and it should be tested continuously while the water is steamed.
7. After the water is wholly steamed, I gather around the pot with a spoon, then reduce the heat to let the rice steam.
It takes about 30 to 45 minutes. After the rice is ready, I serve it with Vavishka, and we enjoy eating it with the family.
Related : jaghoor baghoor.
What is served with vavaishka?
Vavishka is served in two ways in Iran. One with bread and the other with rice. If you eat this dish with bread, try to use Sangak bread or lavash bread, which is very tasty and useful.
Vegetables: You can eat fresh sabzi khordan or Shirazi salad with this dish.
Dairy products: You can use dairy products such as mast o khiar, mast o musir, and Iranian doogh as a drink.
Pickles: Iranian pickles that are served with all food, but in my opinion, only khiar shoor is suitable for this dish.
Notes for vavishka:
- You can serve the potatoes separately or add them to the meat sauce in the last 5 minutes.
- It is recommended to use spices such as thyme, paprika and cinnamon in preparing this dish.
- You can make this dish more exciting with minced meat by adding bell peppers and corn.
- I always use a little chopped tomato in this dish and add it to the dish after roasting the meat.
- You can also add mushrooms to this Iranian dish. Slice the mushroom and fry it in the mixture before adding water.
- The secret of making this dish delicious is using the right onion and frying the ingredients together.
What is Vavishka?
Vavishka is a food with Russian roots that entered in the Gilan kitchen after World War II. Maybe those who heard the Russian word babushka meaning grandmother in Gilan.
pronounced this word in the local dialect and put it on their food which was their own invention, but they changed it to vavishka just to serve the red imperialism.
Excellent and delicious taste as well as quick cooking has made this dish very popular in Iran. this food and fuman cookie is from gilan.it served with barbari bread or sangak bread.
History of Vavishka:
The history of Vavishka dates back to World War II and the Russians. In the past, the Russians brought this dish with them to Gilan, and today it is cooked with almost the same recipes all over the country.
Stories about the history of this food go back to Naser al-Din Shah and Naser al-Din Shah’s wife, and since I don’t have the correct sources, I won’t tell them.
Did you like this recipe?
- Please share your experience with Persian Vavishka.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I don’t suggest Persian food.
- You can ask me questions about Persian food and Gilan food in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you cook this food and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us.