Making homemade lavash bread can be an exciting idea. Lavash bread is considered one of the thin and crispy breads whose origin goes back to Armenia more than other places. However, due to the great interest of us Iranians in this bread, we should include it in the number of authentic Iranian breads.
Although you can easily buy this bread from bakeries, baking it at home also has an attractive atmosphere.
At home one of the most enjoyable things you can do is easily prepare fresh bread on gas for dinner or breakfast. You can prepare delicious bread for yourself and your family with patience and care.
We tried to collect the best-tested recipe for you so that you can easily prepare warm bread with yeast very quickly.
Today we will teach you how to make quick homemade lavash bread with yeast in a frying pan at meals cook site. Please join us.
History of lavash bread
Did you know that lavash bread is an old bread with its roots in Sumerian culture? Bread is originally from the Middle East which probably became known as Armenian bread when Armenia was part of Iran.
Lavash is a word that has its roots in the Armenian language and literature. In English-language sources, lavash bread is also called thin Armenian bread. This bread dates back to about 8 centuries ago.
It is okay to know that Armenians have asked UNESCO to register this bread as a national heritage. Of course, Iran has not been idle and requested that lavash bread be registered as a common heritage of Iran and Armenia in UNESCO.
Of course, lavash bread has a long history in countries such as Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kurdish-speaking regions, and Georgia. A type of oven bread that only needs to rise and puff up a little because we are going to cook thin bread. Armenians traditionally cook this bread in a clay oven called Tonir (furnace).
The history of lavash bread and its registration as a cultural heritage
This bread is made from yeast dough with a thickness of about 3 mm. Yeast dough is referred to as slightly raised dough. Lavash bread is often known as “Tannoori bread”. Lavash bread dries quickly and of course, you can revive the softness of the bread by sprinkling a little water on it. In general, if you follow the principles of bread storage well you can always use this bread in a fresh form.
As authentic Iranian bread, Lavash bread has a special place in different cultures. This bread is often popular in different countries with the same name or similar pronunciation.
Of course, the origin and authenticity of its name still need to be discovered definitively. Some consider it attributed to the Middle East region, especially Iran. Another opinion also associates it with the Sumerians and their language.
It is interesting to know that Armenia registered lavash bread as its cultural heritage in UNESCO. It was also registered as a joint heritage with Iran from a certain period onwards. This bread is produced in many parts of the country and what is obtained from the sources shows that this bread is 800 years old.
How to make lavash bread? (Lavash bread recipe)
For: 5 people
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
We will need the following ingredients to prepare homemade lavash bread with yeast dough. This amount will be enough to make 25 loaves of bread.
|Instant yeast powder
To prepare homemade lavash bread on teak or to prepare rural lavash bread in a pan, you must follow the following steps:
1. In the first step combine yeast with sugar and half a cup of lukewarm water in a suitable container.
2. For the yeast dough to work it must be completely covered on the dish. In addition, it is necessary to put the container in a relatively warm place and wait for between 10 and 15 minutes. During this time the yeast will start to bubble. This preparation of the dough is very important in the preparation of any bread and for example, if you go to the method of preparing taftoon bread You must follow the same process.
3. Choose the right container. Add milk, liquid oil, remaining lukewarm water, baking powder, and half of the flour. Then add the prepared yeast dough and knead the ingredients well until they take a uniform shape.
4. Add the flour little by little to the previous ingredients. At this stage, the dough should be collected and slightly sticky. Please pay attention that depending on the flour type it may absorb more or less water at this stage. Therefore it is necessary not to add flour all at once because there is a possibility that the dough will dry out. If you see that the dough is too dry you can add water as needed. Likewise adding a little flour will be okay if the dough is too wet.
5. After preparing the dough for homemade pan lavash bread transfer it to a container with a volume at least twice the volume of the dough. After transferring cover the lid with cellophane and place a towel on it. Leave the dough in a warm place to work.
6. After about an hour to 75 minutes open the dough. Plunge your finger into the dough to make a hole. If its place is filled slowly it means your dough is ready.
7. Knead the dough flat to remove excess air. Then divide it into 100-gram chins. Sprinkle some flour on the chins and place them apart on a flat surface.
8. After bargaining, throw a clean towel over them and let them rest for 20 minutes. Then start the next step from the first chin you got.
9. Put a large flat pan for baking bread on the heat until it heats well. Then open the dough with a rolling pin.
Prick it with a fork. Put the rolled dough in the pan or teak until it bubbles. Then return it to the pan to cook the other side.
10. If you want to prepare dry homemade lavash bread; moderate the heat so that the bread becomes dry and crispy.
This is if the temperature you choose for baking must be high for the bread to soften. In addition after the bread is cooked avoid exposing them to the open air and wrap the bread in a thin cloth.
How to make lavash bread in the oven
If you follow the lavash bread recipe in the oven your work will be easier. All you have to do is set the oven to 120°C. Then place each spread chin on the oven tray you have greased a little and let your homemade lavash bread be ready.
Notes for nan lavash:
- It takes about an hour and a half to prepare the ingredients until the cooking stage.
- In preparing homemade lavash bread the time required to cook the bread is equivalent to 5 minutes.
- Instead of using a gas stove, you can also use a grill and charcoal. This way your homemade lavash bread will get a smoky and forest flavor which will be extremely attractive and delicious.
- Knead and roll the dough carefully.
- It is better to start mixing the dough ingredients with a wooden spoon. There may not be a compelling reason to use a wooden spoon at this stage, but experience has shown that using a wooden spoon will make the dough more consistent.
- Remember that homemade lavash bread can only be stored briefly due to the lack of preservatives. Of course, you can store this bread for two days in the refrigerator and up to a week in the freezer.
- After baking put the bread in a clean textile so they don’t dry out.
- Preparing lavash bread in the oven is also very simple and you can prepare this bread in the oven. It is enough to turn on the oven and let it heat up well. To do this put the opened chins in the oven tray and after puffing and turning golden take them out of the oven.
- Using milk in the preparation of homemade lavash bread makes it tastier and has a soft texture. Also, the bread becomes softer after baking.
- You can decorate the lavash bread with dried vegetables, sesame, or other seeds. Sprinkle some of these additives when you place the strained dough on the pan or oven tray.
Related: Abgoosht boz bash recipe.
Did you like this recipe?
- Thank you for commenting on this article
- If you have had the experience of eating Iranian bread, please explain it to me