Sohan e qom is one of the most popular types of Persian sweets that have different types and you can easily prepare this delicious sweet at home and enjoy its unique taste to the fullest. In the recipe for making Sohan, flour, wheat germ flour, sugar, water, rose water, butter, honey, light corn syrup, cardamom powder, saffron powder, and raw or roasted pistachios without salt are used.
Sohan can be easily prepared at home with different methods and flavours, simply and with sesame. In order for the sohan to cook in the right way as it should, we must use the right amount of ingredients, not less and not more. Similarly, the amount of heat and coldness of the ingredients should be sufficient and appropriate.
sohan e qom is a kind of delicious sweet like Persian baklava, baklava ghazvini, gaz, zoolbia bamieh, shirini gerdooee that you can eat as a snack in the afternoon time with Persian tea or gol gav zaban.
My experience table:
|My level of interest is from 1 to 10
|The ease of cooking
|Daily sweet, party dessert
|What is served with?
|Persian tea, coffee
Now that we have learned about the history of Sohan and its different types, it is time to find out how to prepare it. So be with us in this article with meals cook.
How to make sohane qom? (Sohan e qom recipe)
|Wheat germ powder
|2 and 1/2 tablespoons
|Chopped pistachio nuts
Instruction for Sohan e qom:
1. First, put aside the appropriate container in which you want to put the sweets. Put a suitable pot on the heat and add wheat flour, wheat germ powder, and sugar to it. Stir the ingredients regularly for 2-3 minutes until their rawness is removed. Add water to the pot and stir until the water boils and the sugar dissolves completely.
2. Add the butter to the pot and stir with the rest of the ingredients until the butter is completely melted. Then add salt, honey, cardamom, and saffron to it. Place the thermometer in the pot, and when the temperature of the ingredients reaches 260 degrees Celsius, quickly add the almond slices.
3. Pour the hot mixture into the prepared dish in any way you like and decorate it with pistachio nuts. With the help of a spoon, press the nuts into the filet and then set it aside until the filet is completely hard and cool.
History of sohan:
The exact history of Sohan is attributed to the Qajar period. In 1289-1290 AH, when the agate court of Hazrat Masoumeh was supposed to be opened in the holy city of Qom, the elders of Qom organized a grand ceremony to open the court and invited the king to open it.
However, according to the requirements of the time, the king sent a successor to Qom for the inauguration ceremony. During the ceremony, according to the customs of that period, each of the elders of the city offered gifts to the representative of the king, such as handicrafts, etc.. Among the elders, a person named Muhammad Ali Attar offered a sweet that was Sohan.
It was presented to the representative who tasted this sweet after having lunch, and he liked it. In this way, from that time, the name of Sohan was given to this sweet, and after that, the production and consumption of Sohan began, which of course, was initially reserved for the elders and nobles.
Until 30-40 years ago, when a turner called Khazni started to make a stirring machine, this machine increased the production of Sohan. In fact, growth in this field and this increase in production caused this sweet to be presented as a souvenir of the city of Qom. So, 90 percent of it is taken out of the province by pilgrims.
Features of a good sohan e qom:
In order for a sohan e qom to be of high quality, it must have many features and go through a complex process. The quality of the raw materials used in this sweet is one of the most important points in the quality of that. In general, a high-quality sohan does not stick to the teeth.
The hardness of it indicates its staleness. This staleness can be due to the bad quality of raw materials or the fact that a long time has passed since its production date. In order to know how to prepare a delicious and high-quality Sohan, you should first get to know more about its raw materials.
Materials affecting the quality of Sohan e qom:
The materials that affect the quality of Sohan e qom are, first of all, oil and butter, then we can mention pistachios and almonds used in Sohan. Before starting the review of how to prepare Sohan, be aware that the oil used in Persian Sohan is animal oil. If this oil is not fresh or if it is of poor quality, it can cause it to become hard and dry.
In this way, when this sweet is produced, the quality will be lost in a very short time, and sohan e qom will taste bad, dry and hard. Also, the use of vegetable oil can cause a decrease in the quality of the. Another important thing in the recipe and how to prepare it is saffron. High-quality saffron, in addition to giving a good color and glaze to them, can also be involved and effective in its aroma. If the saffron used in them is not of good quality, the quality of this sweet will decrease.
Meanwhile, many producers prefer to use industrial colors instead of high-quality saffron. These colors have a much better price than saffron. But the price is not the only issue. Industrial colors do not have the right color that saffron gives to this sweet, and they do not give enough fragrance to them.
Important tips on how to prepare Sohan e qom:
- If the material sticks to your pot and it becomes difficult to wash it, for this purpose, pour a cup of water into the pot and put the pot on the heat again until the water boils and the material dissolves in the water. Then wash it again.
- If you use whole almonds, first soak them in a glass for at least an hour with a little water, then peel them and cut them into wedges.
- It is better to use animal oil or butter.
- It is very important to use a cooking thermometer when making sohan because if the temperature changes even a little, your sohan e qom will be ruined.
- Note that when you add water to the ingredients, you must constantly stir the ingredients. Otherwise, the flour will be balled up, and your mixture will be ruined.
- Note that the flour should be fried only enough to remove its rawness.
- You can add a little rose water to make it fragrant.
- Be careful that when you pour the ingredients into the container or bowl, you must do it quickly because your mixture may harden inside the pot. If this problem occurs, you can put it on the heat again to loosen it.
- You can store it for more than a week in an airtight container.
- It is better to pour the ingredients of sohan e qom on a dish, and when it cools down, cut it into desired pieces and serve.
- Be careful to use the ingredients mentioned above in the exact amount Because reducing or increasing them will spoil the result of your work.
- The heat should be such that it does not burn the hand.
- The diameter of sohan e qom should not be more than 2 mm.
- If you like a softer texture, add more butter.
- In addition to pistachio nuts, you can also use other nuts to prepare it.
Properties and benefits of Sohan e qom:
The saffron in Sohan e qom relieves depression, anxiety, and stress. Also, saffron significantly helps to reduce blood cholesterol and blood fat and is beneficial for heart health. Antioxidant in saffron prevents premature aging and ensures liver health.
The cardamom in sohan e Qom, in addition to relieving stress and being happy, is full of properties for the human immune system, including the improvement of asthma and diabetes.
Pistachio nuts are rich in potassium, iron, calcium, and phosphorus. The potassium in pistachios prevents stroke and reduces heart disease by controlling blood pressure. The presence of copper in pistachios improves and treats anemia.
Wheat germ is rich in vitamins B and E and nutrients such as calcium, zinc, phosphorus, iodine, selenium, and magnesium, which have a significant effect in preventing all types of cancers and in treating dandruff, hair loss, and improving all types of discomfort.
Other properties of wheat germ include storing energy in muscles and improving their function. Also, the consumption of wheat germ causes a lack of fatigue and boredom.
Wheat germ is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that strengthen the immune system.
Honey is rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and a large amount of amino acids and sugar. Honey is anti-bacterial and anti-viral due to its antioxidants. It is also easy to digest and helps to strengthen the body system. Other properties of honey can be used to strengthen memory, treat colds, cure allergies, treat stomach reflux, cure insomnia, and prevent cancer.
FAQ for Sohan e Qom:
1. What is a sohan?
Sohan is a kind of traditional and old sweet and one of the souvenirs of Qom.
2. How many calories are in sohan?
On average each 100 grams of sohan is equivalent to 550 kcal, and if we consider each piece of sohan to be equal to 20 grams, the calories of each piece of it will be about 110 kcal.
3. What is the other name of sohan?
The other name of Sohan is Persian saffron brittle toffee.
4. Can I freeze sohan?
Yes, you can freeze this for 1 month.
5. What is served with sohan e qom?
Sohan e qom is served with Persian tea or coffee.
Did you like the sohan e qom recipe?
- If you have experience eating Persian sohan, please say your comment.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this sweet.
- You can ask me questions about sohan e qom recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you make this sweet and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us on Facebook & mail.