Ash doogh is The most popular dish that matches the taste of almost all people and is a light food. Ash Doogh is one of the famous and local dishes of Ardabil, Sarein, and East Azerbaijan regions, which is prepared in different ways in these cities.
When you are travelling to different cities in Iran, you will definitely try the local food of that city at least once. One of the memorable parts of the trip is eating special food in different cities of the country, which is one of the most popular and delicious local food, Ash.
As you know, Ash is one of the authentic and traditional dishes of Iran, which is cooked according to the nature of geographical regions. This food has a lot of variety, which includes Ash reshteh, ash jo, ash shole ghalamkar, ash tarkhine, sholeh mashhadi ash anar, etc.
Each of them has a specific audience and has its own Ingredients of ash, including vegetables, legumes, and fried onions. This ash and soup jo is the best Iranian appetizer.
My experience table:
|My level of interest is from 1 to 10
|The ease of cooking
|What is served with?
|Garlic, barbari bread, sangak bread
History of ashe doogh
Apart from the natural and historical attractions that attract many tourists in different seasons, Ardabil province has a variety of foods that include all kinds of local and traditional foods. Ardabil is an amazing province with hospitable and tasteful people who always provide the best conditions to welcome guests.
Unique dishes are prepared in this city, which gathers family members around a table of love and affection. Hence, the reputation of ash doogh in this province is complicated throughout Iran, and everyone believes that it is Ardabil and the taste of ash doogh.
In the cool weather of Ardabil, eating ash doogh is very enjoyable. Ardabil ash doogh is prepared from fresh doogh and doogh spices. The contents of the doogh spice include sabzi ash or mountain vegetables, rice, chickpeas, eggs, garlic, and salt.
How to prepare doogh spice is very simple. You only need to mix the ingredients together and add them to the doogh. According to the old hearty traditions, ash dough is still served in the regions of Azerbaijan at weddings and other events.
The final taste of this ash depends on the type and taste of doogh used in it, and if doogh is used, it will be tastier and have fewer calories. Because in order to prepare doogh traditionally, yogurt is poured into musk or skin bags with water and shaken, so that the fat is completely separated and low-fat doogh is made.
High nutritional value of doogh:
Consumption of doogh, which contains living and useful organisms, prevents the inactivation and stoppage of the growth of normal microflora in the intestine and therefore, the growth of harmful bacteria in the body will also be stopped. As the name suggests, the most important and main ingredient of ash dough is doogh.
Doogh is a rich source of protein, calcium, and B-group vitamins. The properties of doogh for the health of the body play an effective role in the popularity of this food, and almost everyone has included ash doogh in their meals which indicates the high nutritional value of ash doogh.
1.Properties of doogh:
- Prevention of osteoporosis
- Prevention of bladder and urinary tract infections
- Cancer prevention
- Maintaining skin health
- Prevent heatstroke
- Providing energy to the body
- Help to lose weight
- Relieve insomnia
- Herpes treatment
2.Properties of vegetables in ash doogh:
Vegetables are a rich source of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Vitamin C is essential for iron absorption. Remember, when cooking vegetables avoid using too much heat to cook the vegetables, as this will destroy the nutrients (such as vitamins) in the vegetables.
3. Nutrients in ash doogh:
A variety of nutrients and minerals, such as copper and iron, are found in legumes, and their consumption has an effect on improving people’s health. Although legumes are not the best source of food to get these substances.
The most important medicinal property of ash doogh is that it strengthens the heart and relieves acute and chronic constipation. The vegetable in this ash has many properties. Peas are also used in cooking this dish due to the presence of vitamins such as iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, starch, and copper.
For: 4 people
preparation time: 30 minutes
cooking time: 2 hours
How to make ash doogh?
|Half grain rice
|Ash vegetables (The main vegetables of ash doogh are leeks, coriander, and parsley, and if you wish, you can add garlic leaves or spinach and dill to it)
|Salt and black pepper
|Turmeric powder and oil
1. To prepare the delicious ash doogh, first pour the chickpeas into a bowl of water the night before, and if possible, change the water in the bowl several times to completely remove the swelling of the chickpeas, then drain the chickpeas.
2. At this stage, we pour the chickpeas with 2 to 3 glasses of water into a suitable pot, then put the pot on medium heat until the chickpeas are cooked completely. After the chickpeas are cooked, we rinse them and put them aside.
3. Now pour the rice into a suitable pot, then add enough water to the pot so that the water level is two fingers higher than the rice level. Next, we put the pot on the heat until the rice cooks a little and becomes soft.
4. Meanwhile, pour 2/3 of the doogh together with yogurt and eggs into a suitable bowl, then mix the ingredients with a hand mixer until their texture is completely uniform. This will prevent the yogurt and doogh from melting when added.
5. After the rice is soft, add the doogh and yogurt mixture to the pot and quickly mix the ingredients so that the rice does not stick. While stirring the ingredients, add the rest of the doogh little by little and mix until it becomes uniform with the other ingredients.
6. At this stage, add 2 glasses of boiling water to the pot and allow the rice to be fully cooked and mashed. Next, coarsely chop the vegetables and add them to the pot. Now we wait until the green colour changes a little.
7. Now add finely chopped garlic to the pot and stir a little, then add the cooked chickpeas. Next, we saute the mint with a little oil until it changes colour, then add it along with the butter.
8. At this stage, we taste the broth add a little salt and let the broth reach the right concentration. Note that we must continuously stir ash doogh until the last stage of cooking because this ash thickens very quickly.
9. After the water reaches the desired concentration, we test its taste again and add a little salt if needed. Finally, we pour it into the desired dish and decorate it with fried onion, fried mint, and cooked peas.
Use of chickpeas:
This ash is prepared with various recipes in different cities of our country and in some recipes, chickpeas are not used. If you wish you can also remove chickpeas from the necessary ingredients, which makes the ash ready in much less time.
- You can grate 6 cloves of garlic and mix it in half a glass of boiling water while eating the ash and add the necessary amount to the ash. This mixture makes your ash more delicious.
- It is not mandatory to use meat.
- You can add some freshly chopped dill along with leeks and coriander to the ash.
- This ash needs a lot of patience because it has to be stirred constantly.
- Using fried mint and garlic to decorate the dish is optional.
- Parsley should never be used in this ash because it changes its taste completely.
- If you don’t have fresh doogh available, you can use packets doogh without gas.
- Don’t forget to eat this ash with Barbari bread.
- This appetizer is thinner than other soups.
- In order to remove the coldness of ash doogh, it is better to add more pepper.
- Decorate the ash doogh with a little oil and red or black pepper.
- If you use low-fat doogh in the preparation of ash, the ash will have fewer calories.
- Adding 6 cloves of grated garlic in half a glass of boiling water and mixing in the ash while eating makes the ash more delicious.
- It is better to use fresh doogh to prepare authentic Ardabil ash doogh.
- This ash, which is cooked in Mazandaran, has ash noodles, pinto beans, lentils, and yogurt.
- You can serve ash doogh for lunch and appetizer.
- It can also be eaten with soup jo, shole zard, halva havij, ranging as iftar in Ramadan.
Important points about cooking ash:
- If your ash is not diluted, add a little doogh to it.
- If you don’t like the smell of garlic, you can remove it from the cooking ingredients, but it is better not to do this.
- The main vegetables of ash doogh are leeks, coriander, and parsley and if you wish, you can add garlic leaves or spinach and dill to it.
- In order not to lose the traditional and authentic color and shape of this ash, it is better not to use turmeric powder and colored spices inside the ash because the main color of this ash is white.
- If you want to use dry garlic in the ash, be sure to beat it with salt until it is crushed.
- Iranian rice makes the dish fragrant and cooks it quickly. It is better to use separated rice crumbs in cooking.
- Cooked bulgur can be used instead of rice.
- It is better not to use Teflon pots to make ash doogh, because stirring it too much will scratch the pot.
- In order for the ash not to crush, you have to stir it or use eggs.
FAQ for ashe doogh:
1. How many calories are in ash doogh?
The calorie content of ash doogh is 118 kcal per 100 grams.
2. Can we make ash doogh without chickpeas?
Yes, in some recipes, chickpeas are not used.
3. Is it possible to make ash doogh with non-sour doogh?
Yes, but the final taste with sour doogh is better and tastier than using non-sour doogh.
4. When to add buttermilk to buttermilk?
In some recipes, rice is cooked with buttermilk, and in others, buttermilk is added to it after cooking the rice. In the Mazandarani buttermilk soup preparation method, buttermilk is added at the end when the soup is completely cooked.
5. How long does it take to cook buttermilk soup?
If you have prepared the beans and vegetables in advance, it will not take you more than one to two hours, but if you cook the beans together with the soup, it usually takes 3 to 4 hours to cook.
6. What are the most famous types of buttermilk soup?
Turkish buttermilk, Mazandarani buttermilk, Northern buttermilk, and Shirazi buttermilk are among the most famous types of buttermilk.
7. What is served with ash doogh?
Did you like this recipe?
- Please share your experience about making this ash.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this Persian ash.
- You can ask me questions about the ash doogh recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you make this recipe and love the taste of it, please share your pic and video with us on Facebook and YouTube.