Since I was a child, I loved the soft and sweet texture of masghati. When my father came back from his travels, he always brought us Masghati and Ghotab souvenirs.
That’s why I love this sweet since I was a child.
I have very good memories with it. When I grew up, I said that I should make this delicious sweet in memory of my father who is no longer with us.
Masghati is one of the most delicious Persian sweets in Fars Province. The age of this dessert dates back almost two centuries.
Abdullah Dehbashi, the ruler of Larestan at the beginning of the Qajar period, migrated to Sharjah after 24 years of ruling this land.
Now it is time to learn the recipe for masghati, so be with us in this article.
How to make masghati?
|Almond slices and pistachio slices
1. To make masghati it is better to soak the starch in advance to remove its sourness. For this purpose, to prepare this dessert, first pour a cup of starch into a suitable bowl then add cold water to the starch and stir until the starch is soaked.
2. First of all, pour water and soaked starch into a bowl and mix well. After the starch is dissolved in the water pass it through a strainer until it becomes uniform.
3. Put the filtered starch on medium gas heat and stir constantly until the starch boils.
4. After the starch boils, add sugar to it and stir until the sugar dissolves a little. Then add the butter to the mixture and stir.
5. Slowly add the brewed saffron to the above ingredients and stir until the dessert takes on a saffron color. Stir until the concentration of this dessert is more than fereni. Be careful that it does not stick.
6. After the starch reaches enough consistency thicker than Fereni, add rose water and cardamom to it and turn off the heat after 2–3 minutes.
When the ingredients have settled well separated from the container, grease a rectangular container and pour this dessert into it and pour as many almond and pistachio slices on it as you like and set it aside until it cools.
7. After it cools down, leave the dessert in the refrigerator for about 4 hours to set well. When serving, cut it in the desired shape and arrange it in the serving dish.
History of masghati
Muhammad Ali, the grandson of Abdullah, who was the son of Abbas; Commute with the country of Oman and the city of Masghat and the result of these interactions was getting to know the halva of masghat, which at that time was not in its current form and was very different from today’s halva.
Muhammad Ali learned how to cook it and brought it with him to Bandar Lange about two centuries ago (Bandar Lange was one of the provinces of Larestan at that time).
For many years, he also made changes in the cooking of this dessert, such as adding flavorings for example cardamom, rose water, and saffron.
Finally, more than a century ago, his children started baking masghat in the present form from Lar Shahr Square and now they are the survivors of Muhammad Ali, the Mohibi, and Confectioner families, who continue the way of their ancestors in the field of baking halva.
It is interesting to know that initially straw and tin containers were used for packing this type of halwa. Perhaps one of the reasons for using metal containers was to use the sharp edge of these containers to cut into pieces.
For a long time, this halva along with biscuits has been an integral part of the parties and celebrations of the people of this land.
What is masghati ?
Masghati is a type of sweet whose ingredients are: starch, oil, sugar, saffron, cardamom, and rose water a variety of nuts such as walnuts, pistachios, and almonds, as well as roses, barberry, coconut, and sesame, are used to decorate it and placed on a gentle heat. They should be stirred regularly so that it does not stick.
What are the ingredients of masghati?
To prepare and produce this dessert depends on its type, the most important and common of which is lari saffron masghati, or as the Laris themselves call it “Morrazi halva” is one of the oldest halva cooked in the region, which is used for various religious occasions, celebrations and mourning.
Related: cake yazdi recipe.
Masghati properties and benefits:
Lari masghati contains vitamins A, B, C, and E. It contains some carbohydrates, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium, protein, manganese, and useful fatty acids such as omega-3, selenium, and glucose.
In other words, all these compounds are necessary and useful for the body.
If people are physically weak, they can benefit from these sweets instead of desserts or chocolate. this dessert increases energy and relieves weakness and fatigue in the body due to sugar, iron, magnesium, and manganese.
For this reason, it is recommended that pregnant women, lactating women, athletes, and people with physical weakness should benefit from these sweets.
Of course, it goes without saying that the consumption of any food or dessert should be in moderation and if the balance is not observed, it may cause side effects.
What vitamins and minerals do doctors and nutrition experts recommend to strengthen memory and prevent Alzheimer’s?
It is interesting to know that vitamin B, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and zinc are important compounds that are recommended to strengthen memory and prevent Alzheimer’s.
Masghati contains amounts of vitamins such as B, C, calcium, magnesium, and zinc. In fact, many nutrition experts believe that this sweet will be suitable food for strengthening memory and preventing Alzheimer’s due to the useful compounds it contains.
The body needs calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and selenium for health and strengthening of bones and strength. these sweets contain all these useful compounds.
As a result, many nutrition experts recommend using this halva instead of harmful sweets and chocolates so that you can not only enjoy a hearty dessert but also benefit from its properties for your bones and body.
Many doctors and scientists believe that depressed and anxious people lack vitamins, and useful fats such as omega-3 and iron.
Masghati contains vitamins A, B, and C, and This sweet also contains potassium, iron, and omega-3.In fact, all these compounds are of great help in treating depression and reducing stress and anxiety.
Many people who suffer from anemia must consume foods that contain iron and vitamins, otherwise, they may suffer from frequent fatigue, weakness, and sleepiness. For this reason, along with the treatments prescribed by the doctor, eating this dessert will also be useful.
Masghati ingredients contain vitamin B12, iron, and folic acid. For this reason, people who suffer from anemia pregnant women, lactating women, and children are advised to eat desserts full of properties such as this sweet instead of consuming harmful sweets and chocolates to help treat their anemia.
All the important vitamins and compounds that we mentioned earlier are found in this dessert. For this reason, we recommend that you do not hesitate to choose this dessert for a snack.
Don’t forget not to overindulge in eating and consuming any food, food, and sweets. In fact, excessive consumption of any food is not good for health and the body needs a variety of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals to continue living and increase and improve health.
Types of masghati:
Masghati is a famous and delicious Iranian dessert, which is also considered a souvenir of the southern cities of Iran. There are different types of this dessert, and the type of it also changes when a combination is changed.
Some models also contain milk, some contain jelly, some contain walnuts, and some contain fruit and other ingredients, which also change its taste.
1. Saffron masghati:
Making saffron masghati is very simple and you can prepare it for your parties.
2. Pomegranate masghati
Pomegranate masghati is a good choice for a party, especially a Yalda night party. In fact, many Iranian cities also make it with pomegranate decoration, which not only tastes good but also red and beautiful in appearance. In fact, if you want to make a home dessert, this model is a good choice.
3. Milk masghati
Masghati with milk is one of the most popular desserts. The taste of this simple dessert is very pleasant, but we recommend that people who are allergic to milk or milk lactose use water instead of milk.
4. Two colour masghati:
Some people think it is difficult to make two-color masghati at home. This type of dessert is also fun for children and will be a delicious snack or dessert.
5. Lari masghati:
The best and most famous type of Iranian dessert is lari masghati. This type of masghati has a pleasant color and taste. For this reason, it is one of the most important souvenirs in the city of Lar.
6. Coconut masghati:
Coconut masghati is one of the best-selling masghati in Iran, which is used and welcomed on New Year’s Eve. But this model preparation is a little different from the simple one. However, you can make this sweet at home with family and friends.
7. Jelly masghati:
Jelly masghati will be a nutritious snack for children. It has an attractive color that can be a good substitute for sweets and snacks. You can make a jelly model for your birthday, your child, or for a party.
Properties and benefits of ingredients used in masghati:
Starch has a number of properties.
- Starch as carbohydrate – Our main source of carbohydrates is starchy foods, which play an important role in a healthy diet. Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, and cereals are examples of starchy foods.
- Starch as polysaccharide – Polysaccharides are a form of biological polymer that is widely used. In living organisms, their role is typically related to the structure or storage. In plants, starch (a polymer of glucose) is present in the forms of amylose and branched amylopectin and is used as a storage polysaccharide.
Pistachios contain omega 6, omega 9, and omega 3 fatty acids and therefore have a good effect on the functioning of the body’s immune system consuming foods that contain pistachios such as masghati, and including it in a meal or snack can be a large part of It provides the energy needed by the body during the day and makes the feeling of hunger as low as possible during the day.
Starchy foods or desserts are the main source of carbohydrates and play an important role in a healthy diet. It’s better if you can eat the different seeds or eat the potatoes with the skin to get more flavor.
If we add starchy foods like masghati and halva to our diet because of the properties of starch for body health, it will have many benefits for us.
Starchy foods are a good source of energy and the main source of various foods in our diet. Also, starch has fiber, calcium, iron, and vitamin B. Some people think that starchy foods are fattening but they are low in calories.
Starch is gradually digested and enters the blood circulation because by consuming starchy foods such as this dessert, the release of insulin takes place with a greater delay in the blood circulation and in this way, blood sugar does not drop after consuming this sweet and prevents blood pressure from dropping.
Specialists of masghati traditional medicine consider Lari to be suitable for people who have high physical activity and it is recommended in jobs that require sufficient physical energy, such as construction workers and athletes.
One of the seasonings used in making this dessert is called cardamom. Masghati has a warm nature and since starch, oil, edible nuts, saffron, rose water, and cardamom are used in its formulation, it has a high nutritional value, and eating it creates a lot of calories in the body.
Cardamom itself has many properties and apart from that, it also gives a wonderful aroma to this sweet.
Cardamom helps improve digestive health and prevents some serious diseases such as cancer and is also useful for treating diabetes and depression.
But this is not the only property of green cardamom and there are significant benefits in this fragrant microbe. It is very beneficial to use it in this dessert.
Due to the presence of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and selenium, this halva has a significant effect on the strengthening and strength of bones and teeth and prevents osteoporosis and arthritis; Hence, it is very useful for the elderly.
To prepare this Shirazi masghati, you should know that along with all its charms, it needs a little effort and patience; However, at the end of your work, you will have a very delicious dessert that will answer all those efforts with its amazing taste in the best way.
Notes for maghati:
- It is better to first remove the edges of the masghati from the mold with a wet knife and let it stay at room temperature for a while, then cut it.
- If this dessert has not reached consistency, throw water in the refrigerator.
- Powdered starch is not suitable for making this dessert.
- This dessert cooking temperature should be mild and for this amount, it should take 3 hours to become completely thick.
- If the heat is high, the smell of raw starch will remain in the masghati.
- Pre-soaking the starch prevents it from making sour.
- You can store this muscat in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- The golden point in the preparation of Shirazi masghati is its continuous stirring. If you hate this, it’s better not to make this dessert! Because it has to be stirred continuously until it boils, and this may even take an hour! You need to stir again after this part!
- To prepare Shirazi masghati, you can use different nuts such as walnuts or peanuts.
- You can cut it in any way you like.
- The more saffron you pour, the more colorful your masghati will be.
- To make this sweet look more exciting for your children, you can use different molds for it.
- Essential oils are added at the end of the process so that their fragrance does not disappear during cooking.
- The more time this halva boils and the milder the heat, the clearer and more colorful it will be. If you want to increase the flame to make it ready faster, you are only fooling yourself; Because by doing this, you will reduce the quality of this sweet.
- If you want to cut it in a rhombus shape, it is better to use a rectangular mold.
- You can use rose petals both for decoration and inside this halva. But you should note that the heat causes the colors of the rose leaves to disappear; To prevent this from happening, at the last stage when you have turned off the gas and want to serve it, put the petals.
Did you like this recipe?
- Please share your experience about making this Persian halva.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this dessert.
- You can ask me questions about Persian masghati recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you make this recipe and love the taste of it, please share your pic and video with us on Facebook and YouTube.