Wow, can it be summer and you are in Iran and not eat Bastani Sonnati(traditional ice cream)? One of the best desserts that are very useful in summer and quench thirst is this traditional ice cream.
It is a dessert made of cow’s milk and Persian saffron, which is decorated with special cream. It has a wonderful heavenly taste. Of course, the tastes are not the same everywhere and you have to find very reliable and special shops to get the great taste of this ice cream.
Bastani sonnati has always had a special place for Iranians. It is hard to imagine summer without ice cream. Many of us spent our childhood summers just indulging in ice cream. Is it possible to spend the summer without eating ice cream, especially Bastani Sonnati?
How to make bastani sonnati? (Bastanni sonnati recipe)
Perhaps it can be claimed that the necessary ingredients for making homemade bastani sonnati can be found in every Iranian home. The only thing that may not be found is salep powder which you can buy from sweet shops or confectionery stores. In general, this ice cream does not require special ingredients and it will be very cheap to prepare.
The recipe for making bastani sonnati at home is possible with or without salep powder and does not necessarily require an ice cream maker..You can easily make this simple and cheap dessert at home. Stay with us to learn both methods.
How to make bastani sonnati with salep powder?
Material preparation time: 120 minutes
Time required to prepare: 5 to 6 hours
The amount of energy in 100 grams of bastani sonnati: 207 calories
|Thick brewed saffron
|Pistachio slices or powder
|Cardamom powder or essence
|as much as needed
1. Brew the saffron and spread the cream in a tray:
In the first step of how to prepare bastani sonnati with salep powder without the need of a machine grind the saffron and pour it into a glass. Put a small ice cube on it and set it aside to brew.
Pour the cream into the tray and smooth it. You can use a tool like a spatula. The thickness of the cream should be about 2 mm. Place the tray in the freezer until the cream freezes completely. (Instead of a tray, you can put the cream in a ziplock plastic bag smooth it out, and put it in the freezer.)
2. Mix milk with rose water and saffron:
In the second step of preparing this ice cream, turn on the gas flame and place a pot on it. Pour the high-fat milk into it and wait for the milk to boil. After boiling the milk pour the saffron in the pot. Add rose water and white cardamom powder or cardamom essence slowly to milk and saffron.
3. Add sugar and almonds to the mixture:
In this step, you should mix sugar and salep powder in a small bowl until they are combined. Add one spoon of this mixture to the milk at a time and stir the milk until the sugar and salep powder are gone.
You should add these ingredients in 4 or 5 steps. If you add milk and sugar at the same time it will not dissolve properly in the milk. During all this time you should put the milk on a gentle heat.
4. Pour the ice cream ingredients into a steel container:
At this stage, your ice cream will reach a relative concentration. Turn off the flame at this stage and transfer the ice cream to another container (preferably steel).
5. Place the steel container on the ice cubes:
In another container pour ice powder or crushed ice. Fill the container with ice. Put the container in which you have poured the ice cream mixture into the container containing ice so that it loses its heat. In the meantime start mixing the ice cream with a mixer. This will make your ice cream stretchy and thick.
6. Place the container containing ice cream in the freezer:
Put the steel container in which you have poured the ice cream mixture into the freezer when it completely loses its temperature and becomes thick. After 30 minutes take out the container and stir the ice cream mixture from the sides (frozen parts) with a spoon. Put the container back in the freezer. Repeat this every 30 minutes.
7. Stir the ice cream mixture every 30 minutes:
Repeat this 5 to 6 times and stir the ingredients every half hour. This will make your ice cream not have an icy texture and will be stretchy. Also, air penetrates into the ice cream mixture and gets a fluffy texture. Place the ice cream in the freezer for 5 to 6 hours until it is completely ready and set.
8. Add pieces of frozen cream and decorate and serve ice cream:
In the last step take out the cream tray and use a spatula to separate the cream from its bottom. Cut the cream into pieces and pour it into the ice cream. Pour pistachio powder or almond slices on the ice cream and serve in the desired dish. You can put the ice cream between the ice cream bread and serve it.
How to make bastani sonnati without salep powder:
It is very easy to make traditional saffron ice cream without a fox. You can prepare a delicious traditional ice cream at home without adding a fox. The only thing you need to know about this ice cream is that ice cream without fox is usually not as stretchy as ice cream made with fox. In the following, you can learn how to make traditional saffron ice cream without a fox.
|2 to 3 tablespoons
|Pistachio nuts or slices
|as much as needed
1. Freezing the cream:
In the first step of how to prepare bastani sonnati without salep powder, you should put the cream in the freezer so that it freezes and is ready to prepare ice cream.
2. Combine sugar and egg yolk:
At this stage, you need to separate the egg yolk from its white. Then pour the egg yolk into a bowl, add sugar to it, and mix the ingredients well with a hand mixer until they are completely uniform.
3. Boiling ice cream ingredients:
At this stage, you should combine sugar, rose water, flour, and the mixture of sugar and egg with brewed saffron. Pour all the ingredients into the pot and put it on the gas flame with low heat. Stir the ingredients and wait until they boil.
4. Cooling of ice cream ingredients:
After boiling the ice cream for a few minutes turn off the flame. Add vanilla and stir the ingredients. Place a plastic wrap on it and wait until your ice cream ingredients cool down and are no longer warm.
5. Adding cream to ice cream:
After the ice cream ingredients have completely cooled add the cream and mix with a hand or electric mixer. Keep a spoonful of cream and use it to top the ice cream.
6. Putting the ice cream in the freezer:
After mixing the ingredients you should put the ice cream in a suitable container pour pistachio slices on it and put the ice cream in the freezer.
7. Preparing dry cream for traditional ice cream:
To make chunks of cream on Bassani sonnati, spread the cream on a plastic surface and put it in the freezer. Then you can crush this cream, pour it on the ice cream, and serve the ice cream.
History of bastani sonnati:
In the past ice cream was not as well known in Iran as it should be. The oldest type of ice cream in our country was the only combination of snow and sap which could not be found anywhere. If we want to look at this issue in detail we have to travel to the Qajar era.
Many experts believe that ice cream as we know it today entered Iran during the reign of Naser al-Din Shah. On his third trip to foreign, he met a phenomenon called ice cream and brought it to Iran like many other things! From that time on, ice cream became popular in the court and little by little it made its way among the common people.
In other words, bastani sonnati became popular at that time. Iranian chefs adapted European ice cream to Iranian taste and introduced bastani sonnati to Iranians. A person named “Mommed Rish” can be considered the founder of bastani sonnati in Iran.
During the time of Muzaffaruddin Shah, he worked in the court kitchen and had a student named “Akbar Mashti”.
After the Qajar dynasty was extinct Akbar Mashdi established an ice cream shop in Tehran and became the oldest ice cream shop in Iran. From that time onwards bastani sonnati became one of the most famous desserts.
Nutritional value of bastani sonnati:
Homemade bastani sonnati is both healthy and not! It can be used as a healthy snack or it can be the killer of your diet! You should know that the nutritional value of this ice cream depends on its raw materials. For example, the more cream it has the more calories and fat it has.
You can also read tokhmeh sharbati recipe.
Salep, also spelled sahlep or sahlab,[note 1] is a flour made from the tubers of the orchid genus Orchis (including species Orchis mascula and Orchis militaris). These tubers contain a nutritious, starchy polysaccharide called glucomannan.
Salep flour is consumed in beverages and desserts, especially in the cuisines of the former Ottoman Empire, notably in the Levant where it is a traditional winter beverage. An increase in consumption is causing local extinctions of orchids in parts of Turkey and Iran.
Notes for bastani sonnati:
- In bastani sonnati recipe try to use full-fat milk. In this case, your ice cream will be more elastic. Using regular and low-fat milk will make your ice cream have an icy texture.
- Using more sugar than what is mentioned in the necessary ingredients for bastani sonnati recipe will spoil the texture of the ice cream. In this case, your ice cream will be watery and hardened.
- Adding sugar and milk to the milk should be done in several steps, and each time you should stir the milk so that it does not curdle.
- Although you can also make bastani sonnati without salep powder in this case the ice cream will set later and become less elastic.
- The cream you use in the preparation of ice cream must have more than 35% fat. In this case, the pieces of cream will not freeze inside the ice cream.
- If you add more saffron, the better.Because the color of bastani sonnati becomes brighter after preparation.
- In order for the saffron to have more color and preserve its aroma after grinding the saffron, pour it into a glass and put a piece of ice on the saffron. At the same time as the ice melts, saffron also changes color.
- Using a steel container for ice cream (when putting it in the freezer) makes the ice cream lose its heat faster. Therefore your ice cream will be prepared sooner.
- You can serve bastani sonnati in a scoop or pour it on Mikado bread.
- You can pour cherry juice, grape juice, or lemon juice on the ice cream and serve.
- Put bastani sonnati in the freezer after each use. You can store this ice cream in the freezer for 1 month.
- In the traditional way of making ice cream with starch, you can use starch to make the texture of the ice cream more elastic and cohesive.
- It is recommended to boil the milk first and then use it to make ice cream.
If you want your ice cream to be diet remove the cream from its ingredients. Of course, the cream is very effective in making bastani sonnati delicious.
- If you like you can use cocoa powder instead of saffron.
Did you like this recipe?
- If you try bastani sonnati, Please share your experience with us.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I don’t suggest you this dessert.
- You can ask me questions about Persian bastani in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you cook this food and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us on Facebook & mail.