Moraba havij or Carrot jam Persian was the best jam that my mother used to make when I was a child. I will never forget the orange color of the carrot and its great taste.
The combination of carrot jam with butter and fresh Barbari bread every morning has a feeling that cannot be described at all.
We were all away from the holiday breakfasts and everything was great, but that day passed very quickly.
Some time ago, I wanted to bring back the feeling of those old days and said to make a great carrot jam.
Like me, if you like to see how I made it, stay with me until the end of this article.
What is moraba havij?
Moraba havij is one of the most widely consumed and popular jams used all over the world. This very colorful and tasty jam has many fans and is prepared in different ways.
Carrot Jam Persian is often used for breakfast along with butter and cream, used in various sweets or as a filling for some cakes. Carrots are very useful for eye and skin health. Building new body cells and is also very useful for strengthening hair and nails and for treating anemia.
Moraba havij is one of the delicious and popular types of jams, which is a very good option for breakfast and dinner. Due to the lack of preservatives and additives, homemade moraba havij will be healthier and more affordable than industrial one. Carrot is a fruit rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene. Since carrots are available in all seasons, you can make moraba havij at home in all seasons.
Moraba havij is prepared with various recipes, and the most common method is to prepare this moraba with grated carrots.
The amount of ingredients stated in this recipe will give you about 2.2 pound of jam, which you can increase and decrease by simple multiplication and division.
So be with us in this article in meals cook site to learn how to make this moraba.
How to make moraba havij? (Moraba havij recipe)
For: 6 people
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 3 hours
1. To make moraba havij, first wash and peel 1.1 pound of carrots. It is interesting to know that peeling the carrots is optional at this stage and some people keep the skin to make this jam. Note that if you plan to use the carrot skin, you should be more careful in washing it.
2. Grate the carrots carefully. At this stage, you can use a fine or coarse grater depending on your taste. Pour the grated carrots into the pot and add water to it.
3. Put the pot on the heat and put the lid on it. Allow the water to evaporate and the grated carrots to be half-cooked for about twenty minutes. At this stage, we suggest turning the carrots several times so that they don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
4. Remove the lid of the pot and add the sugar to the half-cooked carrots and stir the contents of the pot with a spoon until the sugar is mixed with the carrots. Note that if the heat is high at this stage and the jam boils before the sugar grains dissolve, your jam will definitely turn sugary after cooking. So let the ingredients in the pot boil on a gentle heat until it reaches the required consistency.
5. To make sure that the jam has reached the concentration you want or not, you can take a little of the nectar of the jam and pour it into a glass of cold water. If the nectar of the jam settles in cold water and does not disintegrate, it means that the jam is ready. Usually, to reach such a state, you should let the jam cook for about 3 to 4 hours.
6. We have reached the sixth step of prepare moraba havij. When your jam reaches the desired consistency, dissolve the lemon essence with a spoonful of water and finally add it to the jam and mix.
If you don’t have lemon essence available, you can also use half a tablespoon of lemon juice. Note that the amount of lemon essence or lemon juice should not be excessive; Otherwise, your jam will be sour. Finally, you can add a little vanilla to make the jam taste better. (It is optional)
7. After adding vanilla, turn off the heat and let the jam cool completely in the pot. Our suggestion is to let the jam be in the environment for a night and then pour it into a clean and dry glass container. It is better to store this jam in a cold and dry place like a refrigerator.
Two Important tips for moraba havij:
1. Do not add sugar to the jam:
To prevent the jam from becoming sugary, you should avoid adding too much sugar to it. Also, boiling and cooking jam with high heat also causes it to become sugary.
For this purpose, by following these tips, you can avoid jam to become sugary to a large extent. Also, you can add a small amount of lemon essence, lemon juice or vinegar to the jam while cooking. This is also useful to prevent the jam from curdling.
2. Molding of jam:
Molding of jam is also due to its inappropriate consistency. Therefore, it is recommended to check the consistency of the jam after cooking to make sure it is not thin. Also, pay attention to pour the jam into glass containers with lids and make sure that it is clean.
Never pour the hot jam into the jar and let it cool completely; Because the heat creates moisture in the container, which causes the jam to mold. As a final note, we must say that to prevent the jam from becoming moldy, never use a wet spoon to remove the jam.
Notes for Morabba havij:
- Be sure to weigh the carrots after grating and use sugar equal to the weight of the grated carrots.
- You can use a spoonful of almond slices or pistachio slices inside the moraba havij to make the jam tasty and add it to the jam along with vanilla in the last steps.
- Note that it is very important to clean the container in which you pour the jam. The pot in which you cook the jam must be completely clean and free of any grease and moisture. The jars you consider for jam storage must be completely clean and dry.
- Keep in mind that in order for the jam to have a nice color, you have to let it stay in the kitchen for 24 hours after cooking.
- It is better to cook moraba havij in an enamel or Teflon dish.
- To prepare Carrot jam, you can cut the carrots into rings and then cut them with a cutter of your choice and cook them. You can also cut the carrot into strips with a peeler and wrap it in the shape of a rose and cook it.
- The size of the pot you use to prepare the jam should be the size of your gas flame; Because this issue has a great impact on the balance between cooking and jam consistency. If the power of your flame is low compared to the size of the pot, the jam will be crushed until it reaches the consistency of juice. Also, if the power of the flame is higher than the size of the pot, the jam will reach its consistency before it is fully cooked, or because it was prepared with high heat, it will become sugary.
- To store moraba havij for a long time, you can put it in the freezer.
- If you want your jam to become jelly, use a few sheets of gelatin in the recipe for moraba havij.
FAQ morab havij:
1. Is carrot jam useful for diabetics?
No, Carrot has vegetable and natural insulin and causes insulin to rise in diabetic patients.
2. How many calories are in a tablespoon of moraba havij?
A tablespoon of moraba havij has approximately 45 calories.
3. can i freeze moraba havij?
Usually, for long-term storage of jam, it should be kept in sterilized glass jars, both in the refrigerator and in the cabinet away from sunlight, jam can be stored for a long time.
4. What is served with morabba havij?
Iranian carrot jam is served with barbari bread or sangak bread with butter.
Did you like Persian Carrot jam recipe?
- If you have experience eating moraba havij, please say your comment.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this dessert.
- You can ask me questions about persian carrot jam in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you make Carrot Jam Persian and love the taste of it, please share your pic with us on Facebook & mail.