Ghanbar polo or ghambar polo is a delicious, popular dish of Shiraz, but it is also very popular in other cities. Ghanbar polo is a very nutritious and useful food. The main ingredients in preparing this popular Shirazi food are meat, raisins, and hot onions.
This food, like kalam polo, is one of the most authentic foods in Shiraz and has a very good flavor. The ingredients needed to prepare ghambar polo are very nutritious and have made this dish useful.
Also, this food is very useful for curing anemia due to the presence of grape juice and raisins. Today in meals cook we will teach you ghambar polo shirazi with meat, which is very delicious. Be with us with this traditional and useful dish.
Ghanbar polo recipe
For: 4 people
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
You can also read ghormeh sabzi recipe.
|3 to 4 cups
1. To prepare ghambar polo Shirazi, the first step is to pour the minced meat into a suitable bowl and add some turmeric, salt, and black pepper to it, and then knead the minced meat for a few minutes until the ingredients are well combined and consistent and uniform.
2. In the second step of preparing this food, we make the minced meat into balls the size of a hazelnut. Put a pan on the heat, pour some oil, and then fry the meatballs in the heated oil.
3. In this step of preparing ghanbar polo, put aside the small pieces of fried meat and peel and wash the onion, then cut the onion into slices and in the pan where we fried the meat, we also fry the chopped onions until the onions are light and golden.
4. At this stage we have to chop the walnut kernels and add them to the frying onion and fry with it. Next, we add raisins to onions and walnuts while frying them together. After sauteing these ingredients, we add the fried meat and saute all the ingredients together.
5. Now we dilute the pomegranate paste with the help of some boiling water and add it to the pan along with a tablespoon of brewed saffron and mix it with the ingredients.
Fry the ingredients in the pan for a few minutes until the pomegranate and saffron paste reaches all the ingredients in the pan, and then remove the pan from the heat.
6. At this stage, pour half of the water into a suitable pot and put it on the heat until it boils; after the water in the pot starts to boil, we add some salt and a tablespoon of liquid oil.
We add the rice that we have already soaked in lukewarm water to the boiling water and let it stay in the boiling water for five to ten minutes until it becomes soft; then, we rinse the rice with lukewarm water.
7. Now, we put a pot of suitable size for cooking rice on the heat and pour a little liquid oil into it. You can put sliced potatoes at the bottom of the pot according to your taste.
Pour a layer of rice on the potatoes and pour a little of the meatball ingredients on the rice; pour rice again and then pour a layer of meatballs on it and do this until the pot is full.
Note that the last layer should be rice and pour two tablespoons of oil and the remaining saffron on the rice. Then, put the lid on the pot and let the rice cook and brew for 45 minutes to an hour.
8. when the rice is ready, we mix the ingredients together and pour them into the desired dish for serving. You can use meatballs to decorate ghanbar polo.
You can also read meygoo polo recipe.
History of ghanbar polo
This food is called ghanbar polo and this dish is prepared from the combination of grape juice and raisins; because of this, the color of the food is a little dark. The ancients believed that the name Ghanbar was suitable for this rice. This food is warm food and is a very good choice for the cold days of the year.
Some believe this dish’s original and correct name is ghambar polo, which makes you forget your sorrows. In another place, it is stated that the name of ghanbar polo is because, in the past, Ghanbar was the name of a black slave who made this dish, and because of the brown color it, this name was chosen.
Preparing this polo is a bit time-consuming and laborious. This dish is one of the hot dishes that is very suitable for cold winter days.
Here are seven awemazing health benefits of eating raisins on a daily basis, as stated by Amreen Shaikh, head dietician and nutritionist from Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai:
3. It might also help in the prevention of cancer
“Raisins provide anticarcinogenic benefits, because of the presence of catechins. Catechins have polyphenol compounds that possess antioxidant compounds”, she says.
How to prepare ghanbar polo with chicken
If you don’t have minced meat available and want to make this food, don’t worry. You can also use chicken to prepare ghambar polo. You must cut it into small pieces as desired to cook it with chicken. Then fry the chicken with onions and spices and wait until it is fully cooked.
Prepare the ingredients mentioned in the recipe for ghambar polo, including walnuts, raisins, and pomegranate paste, in another pan.
For this purpose, dissolve the pomegranate paste in boiling water until diluted and pour it on the raisins and walnuts with onions. In the next step, pour the mixed ingredients next to the drained rice, and after pouring it into the pot, wait for an hour until your pilaf is ready.
You can also read khoresht khalal recipe.
6 Notes for Ghanbar polo:
- Raisins must be pre-soaked.
- You can add any spices you like (such as garlic powder or pilaf) to the minced meat to make them tasty.
- If you don’t like the sweet taste of the food, don’t use grape juice and serve the honey as it is.
- Do not over-fry the raisins. Raisins are fried quickly and do not need much roasting.
- Use a combination of pomegranate paste and grape juice to make ghanbar polo taste sweet.
- If you don’t like the sweet taste of grape juice in food, you can add pomegranate paste to the ingredients.
1. Can I freeze Ghanbar polo?
No, you must serve this polo fresh; you can keep this food in the refrigerator for five days.
2. Can I reheat this Polo?
Yes, you can reheat Ghambar Polo. Using a microwave or stove is recommended to warm the dish gently. Cover it to prevent the rice from drying out, and stir it occasionally to distribute the heat evenly.
3. Can I use other types of chicken instead of meat in Ghanbar Polo?
Yes, you can use chicken instead of beef. By choosing chicken, you can increase the protein in the food.
4. What is served with ghanbar polo?
Did you like this recipe?
- Please share your experience about making this food.
- If you want vegetarian food, I suggest this polo without meat or chicken.
- You can ask me questions about ghanbar polo recipe in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- If you make this recipe and love the taste of it, please share your pic and video with us on Facebook & youtube.