I always ate a bowl of adasi after the gym and training. The best food for the post-workout meal, which is rich in iron and vitamins. It is also an excellent promise for strengthening vision. I should also mention that it is prepared very quickly.
Adasi is an authentic Iranian dish familiar to children and adults alike. The reason is that eating this appetizer during breakfast gives you energy and keeps you fresh; during lunch, you can put it next to rice, and even during dinner, it is a very light meal for those who don’t like to fill their stomach with heavy food at night.
Adasi is perfect for athletes who are looking for protein to build muscle. For dear mothers looking for a healthy breakfast for their children, it is full of properties and helps improve their mood. The cultural difference and different locations in Iran have caused a lot of variety in making this.
History of adasi:
Adasi is usually prepared by combining lentils, water, oil, onions, and spices. But some people add potatoes, mushrooms, barley, and tomato paste to it according to their taste. The age of using this appetizer and its popularity among Iranians is such that it is mentioned in some historical texts. For example, it is mentioned in the history of Beyhaqi.
Some culinary texts entitled Jame al-Sana’i related to the Qajar era,adasi have introduced as a mild food to which meat is added. But in many others, there is no news of the use of meat in the composition of ads.
There is also a story in Balami’s history, according to which, around the year 99 AH, Omar bin Abdul Aziz ordered his chef to prepare a meal with lentils, onions, and olive oil for breakfast. This combination of food has been introduced in Nasser Khosrow’s travel book as food served to travelers and pilgrims in Mashhad Al-Khalil.
You can also read the cafe omelet recipe.
Now that we know a little about the history of this delicious food, join us to learn how to prepare a hearty and delicious adasi.
How to make adasi? (Adasi recipe)
Adasi is easy to cook so you can prepare them for breakfast. It is considered a nutritious food which is very nutritious for the stomach because it is soft and watery. Due to the many characteristics of lentils, they consider it useful even for children.
For: 4 people
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour
|2 to 3 cups
|as much as needed
|Salt, black pepper, angelica, and turmeric powder
1. In preparing delicious homemade adasi, you must first soak the lentils for 15 to 30 minutes before and then rinse them and put them aside.
2. After that, wash and chop the onions into slices and try to make the slices large. Of course, this is a matter of taste, and if you don’t like to feel the onions in your mouth, you can grate them. But in general, they use large sliced onions to prepare adasi.
3. In the next step, put a pot on heat and add oil to it. Fry the onions in it and let the onions become light and golden.
4. Now add salt, black pepper, and turmeric powder to the onions and let the aroma of the spices fill the kitchen. After combining the onion and spices, add the tomato paste to them.
5. After that, the tomato should be sauteed well to get its raw taste and make the food colorful. Add the lentils to the pot with four cups of water when the tomato paste is fried well.
6. In the next step, peel the potatoes, cut them finely, wash them, and add them to the pot with black pepper, salt, and thyme.
7. After this step, it is better to wait a little until the contents of the pot start to boil. Then put the pot lid on it and allow the lentils and the contents of the pot to cook well with gentle heat for 45 minutes.
8. At the end of cooking, add angelica to the pot. Add angelica, other spices, and even a little butter to this dish is completely optional. Of course, we used potatoes in this method of making lentils. For this reason, there is no need to use flour in it.
9. In the next step, when your adasi is glazed, if you want, you can add a tablespoon of roasted flour to it. This will make your ads well-glazed.
10. Finally, after an hour, your adasi will be ready to serve. Pout it in the desired dish, decorate it with fried onion and angelica, and eat it with Sangak bread and fresh lemon.
You can also read kale pache recipe.
11 tips and secrets to make Adasi tastier:
To have maximum taste, the following points can be observed in the preparation of different types of ads:
- Soak lentils in water for a few hours before cooking to remove swelling.
- If you cook in a pot, use enough water to cook the lentils and not dry them fully.
- To cook this food faster, add the onions and then add the water after the onions are fried and golden.
- To increase the taste of adasi, you can add different spices such as turmeric, black pepper, cumin, thyme, or other dried herbs at the end of cooking.
- Adding pepper, angelica, and black cumin can reduce the coldness of lentils.
- If you add angelica use vinegar as a seasoning; otherwise, you can add some lemon juice to your lentils.
- Add chives, yogurt, mint, garlic, and thyme to date to increase its taste and aroma.
- Pouring a little chicken or vegetable extract into adasi is fine, but we do not recommend adding meat.
- To make your ads more delicious, you can pour chopped sweet potato inside them.
- Sauting the tomato paste, in addition to getting the raw taste and smell of it, makes the food more colorful.
- According to your taste, you can use mushrooms inside ads.
- The more onions, the tastier the date.
- Lentils do not need to be soaked like other legumes; about 15 minutes is enough to soak and wash them. If you soak the lentils too much, they will be crushed during cooking, and their appearance will be ruined.
You can also read kaleh joosh recipe.
Nutritional benefits of adasi:
- Rich source of protein and helps skin health
- Reducing the risk of heart diseases
- Reducing the risk of diseases related to blood sugar
- Increase the body’s immunity
- Reduce the risk of cancer
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- Protecting brain health
- Helping bone health
- Aid in digestion
How to do store adas?
To store dry lentils, you can store them in a closed container in a dark place for one year. Cooked lentils can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week, and for longer storage, be sure to put them in the freezer.
- Fiber (both insoluble and soluble)
Lentils and health
Lentils are low in sodium and saturated fat, and high in potassium, fiber, folate, and plant chemicals called polyphenols that have antioxidant activity.  These nutritional properties have led researchers to study their effects on chronic diseases. Lentils also contain slow-digesting resistant starch that delays the absorption of carbohydrates with blood sugar-lowering effects, as well as being a source of prebiotics that feeds gut flora to help prevent digestive diseases. Animal studies have shown that lentils can lower blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and blood glucose. [1,2] Human studies have found that lentils may improve cholesterol levels in people with diabetes and may protect against breast cancer in women. [3,4] Learn more about the health-related research on the broader category of legumes.
The most common types of lentils available in the U.S. are green, brown, black, red, yellow, and orange lentils. Within these categories are specific varieties like the green Puy (lentilles du Puy) or French lentils, or the black Beluga lentils. They may be sold as whole lentils or split with the husks removed.
Whole lentils with husks intact take longer to cook and will retain their shape; split lentils without husks cook very quickly and break down into a puree. These differences in texture will determine in which recipes they may be used. Lentils are available dried or canned.
this sorced by : hsph.harvard.edu
FAQ for adasi
1.What is adasi in English?
Adasi in English means Persian lentil soup.
2. What are the main ingredients in adasi?
Lentil, potato, onion and spices are man ingredient in adasi.
3. Can I freeze adasi?
Yes, you can freeze Persian lentil soup for a week, and to use it, you have to reheat the soup in a mild temperature.
4. Can lentil Soup be made vegetarian ?
Yes, adasi is the best vegan soup, which is full of iron and vitamins.
5. Can I use different types of lentils for Adasi?
Green lentils are used in adasi and red lentils are used to cook dal adas soup.
6. What is served with adasi?
With Persian lentil soup is served barbari bread or sangak bread.
Did you like Persian adasi recipe?
- If you try persian adasi,Please share your experience with us.
- If you are looking for vegetarian food, I suggest you this appetizer .
- You can ask me questions about adasi persian food in the comments. I will answer your questions as soon as possible.
- if you cook this food and love the taste of it,please share your pic with us in facebook & mail.